• We would like to welcome LuxGentleman as an official Affiliate Vendor. LuxGentleman offers Neapolitan sartorial brands such as Isaia, Kiton, Borrelli, Sartoria Partenopea, D'Avenza, and Attolini, and Italian luxury brands like Loro Piana, Zegna, Canali, Cucinelli and Brioni at great prices. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

A nice watch with a brown strap

Bouji

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2006
Messages
743
Reaction score
0
I need a watch with a brown strap to go with my brown leather goods; perhaps yellow gold.

I have other more expensive watches, none of which with a brown strap. However with this I don't want to spend more than 3-5 thousand pounds.

I quite like the below, I belive that Duhilll did make a similar watch with a different face, it had a small wheel on the side; but I could not find it.


 

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 12, 2006
Messages
1,907
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Bouji
I need a watch with a brown strap to go with my brown leather goods; perhaps yellow gold.

I have other more expensive watches, none of which with a brown strap. However with this I don't want to spend more than 3-5 thousand pounds.

I quite like the below, I belive that Duhilll did make a similar watch with a different face, it had a small wheel on the side; but I could not find it.




you know, there are a number of companies like Camille Fournet and Di Modell that make straps... you could pay $300 for a top quality alligator strap and just have it put on one of your existing watches.

That Dunhill isn't that great.

If you like a watch that always comes on brown, get a JLC Reverso Grande Gate.
 

Bouji

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2006
Messages
743
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
This should fit your bill quite well...


http://www.prestigetime.com/item.php?item_id=5553

It's just about at the top end of your price range, but would go wonderfully with leather goods.

Wow thanks, I did not think I could get a quality brand like A. Lange & Sohne in gold for this budget.
 

Bouji

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2006
Messages
743
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Violinist
you know, there are a number of companies like Camille Fournet and Di Modell that make straps... you could pay $300 for a top quality alligator strap and just have it put on one of your existing watches.

That Dunhill isn't that great.

If you like a watch that always comes on brown, get a JLC Reverso Grande Gate.

A good idea, but I don't want to put 3rd party straps on my watches, because they are relatively expensive. Plus I still need a black leather strap watch.
 

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Aug 26, 2004
Messages
13,141
Reaction score
10
Originally Posted by Bouji
Wow thanks, I did not think I could get a quality brand like A. Lange & Sohne in gold for this budget.

That model is the 1815 manual wind, which apparently is the least expensive Lange, but still quite nice. I have the same watch in automatic and it's great.
 

Bouji

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2006
Messages
743
Reaction score
0
drizzt3117, What is A. Lang & Sohe's reputation like? I own Patek, Vacheron, Rolex, Franck Muller, Cartier, Breguet and Chaumet? How does it rank compared to these?
 

Bouji

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2006
Messages
743
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
That model is the 1815 manual wind, which apparently is the least expensive Lange, but still quite nice. I have the same watch in automatic and it's great.

How much more is the automatic? Is it any better?
 

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Aug 26, 2004
Messages
13,141
Reaction score
10
The automatic is about $4000 more. The main difference is the automatic movement, so you don't have to manually wind it as opposed to the Manual Wind. I can't wear gold so I have the platinum/silver version with black strap. Here's a link to it from the same site: http://www.prestigetime.com/item.php?item_id=5555 I would say that in horological circles Lange sits at the top along with Patek, and the prices their watches command seem to be the highest as well for the most part. Check out this one, awesome looking watch but the price... http://www.prestigetime.com/item.php?item_id=5550
 

Bouji

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2006
Messages
743
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
The automatic is about $4000 more. The main difference is the automatic movement, so you don't have to manually wind it as opposed to the Manual Wind. I can't wear gold so I have the platinum/silver version with black strap.

Here's a link to it from the same site:
http://www.prestigetime.com/item.php?item_id=5555


I would say that in horological circles Lange sits at the top along with Patek, and the prices their watches command seem to be the highest as well for the most part.

Check out this one, awesome looking watch but the price...
http://www.prestigetime.com/item.php?item_id=5550


I don't think the automatic is worth 4,000 dollars, plus I like the fact that it has to be wound, and you don't wear a watch like this to tell the time! Obviously the automatic is more convenient, and when I asked if it was any better, I meant is the movement technically any better. However, I'm more or less sold on the manual because 4,000 more is too much.

Good to know that A. Lang & Sohe fares well and the 410.025 is stunning.
 

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Aug 26, 2004
Messages
13,141
Reaction score
10
Originally Posted by Bouji
I don't think the automatic is worth 4,000 dollars, plus I like the fact that it has to be wound, and you don't wear a watch like this to tell the time! Obviously the automatic is more convenient, and when I asked if it was any better, I meant is the movement technically any better. However, I'm more or less sold on the manual because 4,000 more is too much.

Good to know that A. Lang & Sohe fares well and the 410.025 is stunning.


Here are some pictures of the movement, which looks incredible:

https://www.alange-soehne.com/en/wat...5_movement.php

Here is some more info about the watch:
https://www.alange-soehne.com/en/watches/1815_watch.php
https://www.alange-soehne.com/en/watches/1815.php
 

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Aug 26, 2004
Messages
13,141
Reaction score
10
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Lange watches are rather large. Last time, I thought the women's model was a better size for me than the men's models.
I wouldn't say they're that large, it just depends though. A Lange 1815 is almost 1 cm smaller in diameter than say, a Breitling Chrono Avenger. Personally I have large wrists so Breitlings look nearly perfect, while a Calatrava looks almost dainty... heh.
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

  • Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

  • Loafers

  • Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

  • Monk strap shoes

  • Oxford / Derby shoes

  • Sneakers


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
425,854
Messages
9,156,739
Members
192,356
Latest member
fnel

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top