• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

A Nice Day for a... Brown and Ice Blue Wedding?

ArtOrSartor

Reaction score
Good morning everyone. I am a long time lurker and a first time poster of this forum.

I'm to attend a summer wedding in June and I think I know what I want to wear, but I'm always open to new ideas. The wedding itself will be taking place in a suburban backyard and the colors are chocolate and ice blue. I really, honestly, don't know exactly what that means but my wife tells me it has to do with the bride's dress and/or the flowers. Maybe the cake, too. Anyways, it's in June so it is a summer wedding. I don't know exactly what time of day it will be, and it sounds like it's going to be a little more... casual than most weddings, based on the people I know to be attending. For instance, the groom will be wearing a tuxedo with black Chucks because a movie star did it.

I've had the idea in my head that I'd like to wear a tan suit with a one button jacket and a navy blue tie. When I'm wearing a jacket and a tie, I like to err on the side of caution and wear a simple white shirt. But I might lose the tie and opt for a blue grid patterned shirt if I don't wear it out before then. I've got a pair of tan canvas Oxfords that look like they were made out of a retired couch and those should go with the ensemble pretty well. I was set on this, but I started thinking that perhaps I should consider altering the outfit a little bit. I tend to be a little more well-dressed (or at least more cohesively dressed) than other people, and I wouldn't normally have a problem being the sharpest looking guy in the room (or yard, as it were), but I want to make sure that I'm not stealing the thunder from the man and woman of the hour.

Would you eschew the bespoke suit and sacrifice your style when you know the groom is just renting any old tux? Is this outfit appropriate and fetching to begin with? Is there even a question here or should I always be bringing it in a big way? I would love to hear some thoughts on this.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 16 3.1%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 89 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 161 31.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 83 16.3%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 48 9.4%