• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A nice backpack with a suit?

cufflinked

Reaction score
Hello guys, I've been lurking here for some time and keeping "radio silence"
smile.gif
, but now it's time to start a new topic, and also to contribute.

I read a couple of threads about wearing a backpack with a suit, however, I just can't find a proper answer, so I apologise for starting a new thread about an old problem.

As you may anticipate, I am in a long pursuit of finding a "formal" backpack, which would go nice with a suit and in the business environment (e.g. meetings and situations where everyone else has a briefcase), although I know that the words "formal", "backpack", and "suit" don't go together in the same sentence.

However, since I have problems with the back, and for practical reasons, I am forced to use a backpack for business, which requires careful examination of the possibilities. I already tried with a messenger bag but it's not practical as a backpack. Being in my age (mid 20s), I don't think it's that bad wearing a backpack with business attire, but I'd like an optimal solution, or at least the closest one.

The backpack I am looking for should be black, fit a 13" laptop and the usual suspects (charger, papers, pens), and it should not be too big (about the same volume as a briefcase). The closest I've found is a Porsche design backpack (attached pictures) but apparently it's discontinued.

I also tried at Samsonite, Swiss Gear, North face, and others, but no luck. Any ideas?
As I am not residing in the US, please do not advise products which are available only in the US.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd try experimental back surgery before I ever wore a backpack with a suit.

Can you not hire a man-servant to carry your briefcase for you?

Archivist

Reaction score
No. Just, no.

It does not, will not, can never, look acceptable.

Consider that a suit, even a very softly structured suit does have some structure in the shoulder. A backpack will not work with that.

If you need to carry things, and have back problems that preclude carrying an attache or brief, look into a nicer quality roller bag.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A dreadful idea, their can be no valid reason not to use a proper brief case.

tweedydon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. But, what sort of business requires a backpack with a suit?

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even worse look than a hockey puck-sized watch sticking out from under a suit.

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahaha. I can only see it done if executed properly — as a casual outfit with blazer, button down, jeans, desert boots.

Must be a nice backpack, I saw a nice suede one from MJ 2 years ago.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cufflinked
I don't think it's that bad wearing a backpack with business attire...

As others have said, you think wrong.

Unfortunately, you have already eliminated messenger bags, brief cases and attaches so I'm not sure what's left to you.

cufflinked

Reaction score
Alright, I am convinced. Now from the pictures I see it was not the best idea.
I'll try with a briefcase or a messenger bag at most.
Thanks for your replies.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cufflinked
…Being in my age (mid 20s), I don't think it's that bad wearing a backpack with business attire, but I'd like an optimal solution, or at least the closest one.
I am also in my mid 20s. Backpacks are atrocious with suits, hands down. Do not do it. That said, Saddleback makes briefcases that can be converted to backpacks. Not the ideal way to wear them, but significanly better than a nylon backpack.

heaven7

Reaction score
It's done a lot where I live.
Mostly by interns at law firms.
I don't like the look and believe it ends up ruining the shoulders of the suits.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heaven7
It's done a lot where I live.
Mostly by interns at law firms.
I don't like the look and believe it ends up ruining the shoulders of the suits.

I see lots of new lawyers wearing backpacks. In fact, I had a classmate who insisted on wearing a backpack to work, even though he had a functional briefcase too.

He said that if he used the briefcase, they'd make fun of him, so his preference was to wear the backback.
facepalm.gif

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know how you're supposed to dress for the job you WANT, not the job you HAVE?

Nobody wants a job that involves wearing a backpack. You don't want people in your line of work to get comfortable with the idea that you belong at the bottom of the hierarchy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads