1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A new top ten list of jeans - for Styleforum reborn.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 24, 2006.

1. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

I'm interested in thoose 45's. Could you posssibly measure the rise on yours as i was concerned the rise is very low
    ill try to remember to do it tonight, but im thinking it is 11" or so. not low rise at all, since it is a 1945 reproduction.

2. modual

modual Senior member

ill try to remember to do it tonight, but im thinking it is 11" or so. not low rise at all, since it is a 1945 reproduction.

Thanks alot. Are they a lee 101z repro but with button fly ?

3. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

Thanks alot. Are they a lee 101z repro but with button fly ?
    they are a 101b repro... 1 year after lee adopted the "lazy s" back pocket stitch. not an exact repro, as they are not sanforized. the legs have twisted 90 degrees on me. id definatly get the one wash over the raw(im not even sure if they sell a raw version)

4. old viking ring

old viking ring Active Member

I wanted to add that the Ironhearts will not hold you up while you sleep and that they are very soft for the weight and are made with Zimbabwe cotton.

I have a pair with the sterling silver rivets. Actually wore them twice this summer (in Cali) as an experiment and they tend to breath pretty good, they weren't too hot. I wore them in the rainy season and was still kind of chilled to the bone.

5. denimaddict

denimaddict Senior member

I was wondering if LA guy and Brian still stand by their lists. Or have they changed these days?

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Moderator

I was wondering if LA guy and Brian still stand by their lists. Or have they changed these days?

Most of mine is still the same, but I have made some adjustments and changes. I'll post a new list this weekend.

7. greentea

greentea Well-Known Member

dont forget sd-103, [​IMG]

8. mizanation

mizanation Senior member

i have to say the Pure Blue Japan XX-005 is my current favorite right now (and i've looked at a ton of jeans recently). it really is a great jean, and i think it will be a classic soon. low-rise, slim leg, made with super-slubby PBJ denim. if you can fit in them, they WILL look great on you.

unlike other japanese repros, these jeans look great "out the box," meaning you don't need to wear them in for them to look fantastic--although, they do look great distressed as well.

i'm sure many people who've bought this jean will agree. it seems to have a very high customer satisfaction rate.

although, you can group the XX-005 with the eternal 811 and the SDA SD-103, the rise is much lower and the leg is a smidgen slimmer--PLUS, it breaks higher up on the knee so it looks great even if you're not 6'1" and above.

As expected from a Japanese company, the denim is superlative. They're very starchy and stiff, and thus will fade quicker than the more Americanized jeans listed above. Depending on how you get them, they can vary in price, but the mean is about $250.

I think another reason why Japanese jeans tend to fade quicker than American jeans is because Japanese jeans use pure indigo--meaning, they don't use any sulfer bottoming, or other chemicals to keep the color dark. American jeans tend to use various methods to keep the color on the fabric.

9. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Moderator

I have to go to B.I.G. and look at their stuff before I can redo my list. I want to put a repro, maybe 2, on the list, a 47 and possibly a Samurai "modernized" repro, but I haven't really seen or tried on enough models recently to say anything reasonably informed. (FWIW, Boston sucketh for denim. LA and NYC are much better.) About 6 or so of the list are set in stone. Anyway, I will post soon. Just need more info.

i have to say the Pure Blue Japan XX-005 is my current favorite right now (and i've looked at a ton of jeans recently). it really is a great jean, and i think it will be a classic soon. low-rise, slim leg, made with super-slubby PBJ denim. if you can fit in them, they WILL look great on you.

unlike other japanese repros, these jeans look great "out the box," meaning you don't need to wear them in for them to look fantastic--although, they do look great distressed as well.

i'm sure many people who've bought this jean will agree. it seems to have a very high customer satisfaction rate.

10. headtowall

headtowall Senior member

although, you can group the XX-005 with the eternal 811 and the SDA SD-103, the rise is much lower and the leg is a smidgen slimmer--PLUS, it breaks higher up on the knee so it looks great even if you're not 6'1" and above.

Cosigned. I love my pair.

11. mizanation

mizanation Senior member

I have to go to B.I.G. and look at their stuff before I can redo my list. I want to put a repro, maybe 2, on the list, a 47 and possibly a Samurai "modernized" repro, but I haven't really seen or tried on enough models recently to say anything reasonably informed. (FWIW, Boston sucketh for denim. LA and NYC are much better.) About 6 or so of the list are set in stone. Anyway, I will post soon. Just need more info.

definitely take a good tour of the store if you come to NYC.

a lot of the japanese companies are making non-repro jeans now. johnbull is making some very nice modern cuts with their sewing chop line--both raw and distressed. also, they have a ton of great jeans with their regular line that is very non-repro.

12. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Senior member

Miz,

Curious to see your top ten list. Or just a top five and double it.

13. mizanation

mizanation Senior member

i have to say that i don't know enough about designer denim to come up with a good top 10. all i can do is contribute to the raw denim department. [​IMG]

*edit* fuck it, here goes

entry-level modern cut: johnbull SC003

cheaper than APC, but much higher quality. looks great and is made with 14 oz. okayama denim. ages beautifully. $149.00 at BiG

entry-level repro cut: sugar cane 1947

can't beat the cost performance of the famouse sugar cane 1947. plus, since it's an exact replica of the 1947 501, it feels like you're wearing a piece of history on your ass.

low-rise, slim fit: pure blue japan xx-005

an awesome jean. super-slubby denim that is just beautiful. nice blue selvage line. if you can fit in 'em, you can't go wrong.

bootcut: studio d'artisan SD-D1002

i love this bootcut. very slim in the leg (slimmer than the SDA SD-103) and breaks into a subtle bootcut flare--like some other jeans out there, but this one is the only one made with SDA's famously beautiful dark denim.

cinch-back: warehouse duckdigger 1920

this is my favorite duckdigger. it has a cool looking cinchback. but what i like most about these is that instead of rivets, it has this beautiful reinforcement stitching that looks like little sunrays at the stress-points. plus, there's nice back pocket stitching. the cut is a true straight leg that looks suprisingly good. the denim is, according to ringring (where is he these days?), a best-kept secret. very, very nice stuff.

14. usanet21

usanet21 Member

I love the samurai and neighborhoods

15. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

Mizanation, what's the rise like on the Johnbull 03's? I saw 'em on the BIG website and my interest was definitely piqued.

16. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Mizanation, what's the rise like on the Johnbull 03's? I saw 'em on the BIG website and my interest was definitely piqued.

I'm curious about this too. The BIG site calls them a 1966 cut - if they are similar to my Denime 66's, they would be closer to a repro than a modern cut. Are they actually closer to the New Standard style?

17. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

i'll post my list based on miz's list.

entry-level modern cut: APC new standard

easiest to find and best all around quality. great cut for being what it is. for looser, go for the rescues. but in all honesty, if you can find the old bootcut model, those are the best, still one of my favorite jeans.

entry-level repro cut: oni denim blue or denime 66

oni denim is top notch in my book, shit is so fucking nice, i sold mine because the waist was too big, but they are seriously top notch. because of how easy denime 66 fade, i'd reccommend those to anyone looking for a starter japanese repro. i'm still kinda bugged how NOONE hypes denime, quality is awesome and fades are insane.

low-rise, slim fit: SDA 103's or Somet black.

both are great similar fits. SDA's are probably the best fitting jeans i have ever had. Somet black is a bit more modern as the leg opening is a bit smaller, but they both look killer.

bootcut: Nudie RRDS or Levi's PREMIUM 527's

RRDS, everyone and their mom knows how these fit, so i'm not going to bother, but the levi's premium 527's are great quality. They redid these and made them a general release, but the old american made premium ones are slimmer cut, lower rise, and slimmer boot cut. I guess you could chalk the APC bootcut here too but that bootcut is basically a straight leg.

cinch-back: Levi's 901

kind of a type 1 deal, but the pair i have, i love. great detailing similar to the levis' red line.

18. mizanation

mizanation Senior member

they posted some stats on the website:

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...mart&Itemid=28

poly800rock, nice list!

19. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

20. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

How are the Johnbull Sewing Chop SC005? Anyone seen them up close yet?