• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A New Size for Denim: Extra Tight

whynot

Reaction score
May 4, 2006
A New Size for Denim: Extra Tight
By ERIC WILSON
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/04/fa...pc&oref=slogin
07skin.xl.jpg

WHENEVER people say, "You remind me of someone," I try to change the subject. Having been compared to Alfred E. Neuman, Doogie Howser and, during what seemed an eternal 1980's adolescence, Chip from "Kate & Allie," I fear this is a parlor game in which the cards are not stacked in my favor.

But a few years ago someone with a kind heart and poor vision suggested I looked a bit like James Dean. It was such an improbable surprise that I set out to emulate his look with white T-shirts and skintight jeans with rolled cuffs. That is, until I went looking for just the right pair of jeans. All of the stores were promoting boot-cut styles, which to me "” or on me "” looked like bell-bottoms.

Walking by Barneys New York a few weeks ago, I was reminded of that quest. A pair of $340 Acne jeans on a mannequin in the window were as snug as denim hosiery. Skinny jeans, as you may have heard, are back.

"After you wear them, you don't ever want to put on boot-leg pants again," the designer Mark Badgley had promised me. This spring Mr. Badgley and his partner, James Mischka, have been buying skinny jeans from labels with off-putting names like Acne and Nudie. The sudden popularity of those styles is most remarkable because they are skinny to an extreme. Some are even hard to put your foot through "” or in my case, calves.

A possible reason for their unlikely appeal, as I discovered after road-testing a few models, is that the skinnier the silhouette, the easier it becomes to project another personality. But that, and the tight fit, can also be cause for discomfort.

One day I wore a pair of black jeans from a new label called Cheap Monday. They sell for $65 "” hence the name "” at a handful of retailers like Seven New York and Colette in Paris. The jeans stretched over my calves and bunched up at the knees like black earthworms, but they had the desired effect, drawing comments about Iggy Pop, Nick Cave and the Ramones. People stopped to reminisce about buying skinny jeans at places like Trash and Vaudeville or Lip Service.

But before long my lower back was aching inexplicably, perhaps from too much pressure on my spine, and all of the teasing about Keith Richards made my head ache (though not as badly as his). The skinny jeans had a life of their own, one that was exhausting and seemed to call for a lifestyle more exciting than spending Thursday nights at doggie obedience school.

"I have a saying that is ridiculous, but true," said Jonny Johansson, the creative director of Acne. "That is, 'Jeans are the perfect canvas for everything.' Pop culture, from the 50's with Marilyn Monroe and James Dean, and every interesting subculture that has happened since then, is built on an image of jeans. It is the most generic product and the most interesting product at the same time."

There are high-concept skinny jeans from Rick Owens with seams that trace the quadriceps. There are skinny jeans from Alexander McQueen that are stained to appear as if they had grown mold; these are sold with a disclaimer that says, "This denim may leave traces of color when it comes in contact with light clothing and furnishing fabrics." The Dior Homme designer Hedi Slimane, who gave wings to the louche aesthetic with his springtime homage to Pete Doherty, offers whiskered rock jeans in pale pink and pistachio, for $580.

Karl Lagerfeld's new collection includes skinny jeans sewn in Frankenstein patches, and John Varvatos designed a style that is a hybrid: roomy up top and strangling around the calves. Some feel nice for a few moments, as if your legs are being gently hugged into shape, but after walking a block, they become as claustrophobia-inducing as a fierce case of static cling. When I tried on a pair of Tsubi jeans in my normal waist size (30, thank you), I could barely button them, then turned around to discover the denim equivalent of a double chin.

After a day or two of wearing size 32 Tsubis (with stretch), I began to notice double takes from people on the street and started to feel like a pervert. The jeans stirred up body issues I never knew I had. By Friday I considered the possibility that I had become fat. To hide myself, I wore a boxy jacket and claimed it was part of the 80's trend.

"Some guys are just not comfortable being that well defined," said Alexandre Plokhov, the designer of the men's wear line Cloak. "But skinny jeans are pretty much a backlash against the boot-leg cut. When all the masses go right, a few people will go left."

For his store on Greene Street, Mr. Plokhov produced 200 pairs of a skinny style made of Japanese selvage denim with straight seams and trouser pockets that seem to magically eliminate unsightly bulges. At $390, they had nearly sold out.

Mr. Plokhov said he was surprised by the reaction, but mainstream denim makers suggest that more than a few people are going left. Greg Chait, the chief executive of Tsubi in the United States, said the company will sell $20 million in skinny jeans this year, about 40 percent of them for men. Tsubi's most popular styles, Dee Dee and Joey, both skinny, high-waist cuts, are named after members of the Ramones.

The market for denim styles with escalating prices has become so sophisticated that some companies claim to be able to predict where the skinny trend will lead. "Somewhere between October and next February, it will hit all parts of the country," said Jeff Rudes, the president of J Brand, which expects to ship more than 140,000 pairs of skinny women's jeans this year, with leg openings as narrow as 10 inches around. "This cycle is then good for 18 months to two years. It can't get any narrower than this without stopping blood flow."

I understood what he meant when I tried on the Acne jeans at Barneys. A mirror revealed that the results were not so much "Rebel Without a Cause" skinny as they were "West Side Story" unseemly. I blame the jeans.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scanned from my fridge (originally from the New Yorker)

untitled4jg1.jpg

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, except James Dean was wearing a lee 101B in "rebel without a cause" which hardly qualifies as the tight spandex this guy is advocating in this bullshit article.

!luc

beefcake

Reaction score
1. $340 acne jeans? If someone on this forum is seriously considering paying that much for acnes, e-mail me and I'll get you some for swedish retail + shipping. Damnit.

2. "Not only did one hundred people go blind crafting each of these jeans but they also died"
laugh.gif
inlove.gif
laugh.gif

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by beefcake
2. "Not only did one hundred people go blind crafting each of these jeans but they also died"
laugh.gif
inlove.gif
laugh.gif

Very Margaret Atwood
sly.gif

Had to beat LabelKing to it
teacha.gif

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, what happened to John Varvatos? He started off so strong - though his moleskin pants were always better than his jeans - and now...this.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Considering the preponderance of overweight guys in America, this might get reeeeeal ugly if they all jump on the skinny jean wagon

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Considering the preponderance of overweight guys in America, this might get reeeeeal ugly if they all jump on the skinny jean wagon

What you weren't around in the 80s? Ugly is too weak a word to describe some overweight guy trying to look like Simon Lebon

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SGladwell
Wow, what happened to John Varvatos? He started off so strong - though his moleskin pants were always better than his jeans - and now...this.

Pressure from Nautica (his backer) to cash in on trends. The skinny jean does not fit in with his aesthetic at all. A classic, '47 or better yet, looser '55cut would. but John Varvatos and the Ramones have nothing in common. I see the trend being very limited, although a more fitted jean is becoming more and more prevalent - think the Bootcut Ola or non-" superfuture recommended tight" APC New Standards.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
Thanks for the post-mortem on the skinny-jean aesthetic!

That's true. What's the saying? When the NYTimes reports a trend, you can be sure that it's been dead for six months already?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by horriblyjollyjinx
skinny jeans are definitely on the way out in sweden.

For the record, and as th record shows both here and on Superfutures, I never, ever, bought into that trend. Fitted, okay - I like my Bootcut Olas. Otherwise, jeans should not (and this is a pretty good rule) make you unable to bear children.

minya

Reaction score
Denim leggings look pretty marsupialed. I like tight jeans, though. But skintight is too much.

I think the Cloak jeans in the pic look good, although I really don't like the weird-looking front pockets.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I like skinny/fitted straight leg jeans and have never owned a pair of bootcut/flared (other than Ola which is more straightleg than bootcut) but I don't get the Superfuture "norm/trend" of getting jeans soooo tight that you can't even button them until they stretch out 2". I get my jeans to fit right from the first wear and I've never had any jeans stretch to any noticeable degree from then on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads