• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A New Muse - Sydney Street Style

longcat

Reaction score
Hi,

I've started a Sydney based fashion blog featuring street style photography. I'll be posting interviews with start up designers and other creatives, book reviews, and editorial in the near future.

http://www.anewmuse.net/

If anyone from Australia would like to be profiled and have their creative projects promoted then I would really like to get to know you.

Critique and criticism is very very welcome.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This sort of thing is not really my area of expertise, but I'd like to make a few random comments. Please take them as constructive.

The design of the site is very familiar. It reminds me a lot of other sites I've visited, such as A Suitable Wardrobe. Maybe a bit more effort to make it more distinctive might be warranted.

The photo of Fontaine is not a very good one, IMHO. The shadow dominates her head. It would also have been good if you'd got a photo of her that captured her professed design aesthetic of black lines and watercolours.

Watch the spelling and grammar, if you want to be taken seriously.

This may be just me, but the notion of a "child like aesthetic" in fashion shoots seems creepy. I can't say I'm a fan of the child model look, and the industry itself seems to be gradually rejecting it.

Good luck with your new venture; there should be no shortage of willing volunteers in Sydney. Hopefully you got lots of photos at the G&L Mardi Gras.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try and sneak a post or two on the Vogue forum, or put the site in your signature or something. Thousands of (predominantly female) members in Sydney, you'll get more exposure to Australians there than you would here (~ 10 post on this site).

longcat

Reaction score
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide some feed back. I really appreciate it. I personally don't find Olivieri's shoot creepy. I think it captures the coy innocence of childhood and emphases how fun her collection is to wear. I agree that the sexualisation of children by other stylists is incredibly creepy, and I'm glad that the industry by and by has moved away from it. Obviously I need to work on my expressing myself better
smile.gif
This is a great learning experience for me, and incredibly fun.

longcat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Homme
Try and sneak a post or two on the Vogue forum, or put the site in your signature or something. Thousands of (predominantly female) members in Sydney, you'll get more exposure to Australians there than you would here (~ 10 post on this site).

I've signed up, but the forum is moderated so I'm waiting for my account to be approved. I've read that it can take months!

Despite my distinct lack of male subjects as yet, I do hope to capture some of Sydney's sartorial offerings which will be of more interest to SF. I have a few in mind already...

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IF you can't find an egotistical male showoff in Sydney, you're not trying.
smile.gif

Seriously, did you get out and about during Mardi Gras? That would have been an ideal opportunity to capture some original looks.

longcat

Reaction score
There's no lack of them, but unfortunately Sydney is very trend orrientated. People are very comfortable to have others dress them. It is proving hard to find people who put thought into their personal style. But I soldier on! Unfortuantely I didn't get out during the Mardi Gras
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads