• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A new MG for America: from Oklahoma via China

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It appears we might get MG in the United States again. The NYT, a publication not especially known for its automotive coverage (unlike, say, the LA Times) both had the scoop and thought enough about the possibility to publish an editorial about it that shows a degree of familiarity with the marque I frankly wouldn't expect from the Grey Lady.

What do you think about the possibility?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those cars are not very MG-looking. Even Morgans suffer from that plastic look that characterizes contemporary cars, and the type of chrome, which looks like a toy sword from a flea market.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that they're kind of dumpy looking, especially for Peter Stevens designs. But then again, MG has never been big on visual continuity. The TC/D/F looked nothing like the A, and the Midget and B were both total departures from the A. Also, this car (originally the MGF) was designed by the husk of the company that shuttered MG in 1980, before the BMW takeover. So in that respect reviving MG is not as aesthetically daunting as reviving Triumph, which had basically two bodystyles (TR-2/3/3A and TR-4/4a/5 250/6) in 30 years. (I trust that you don't mind my pretending that the TR-7/8 never happened...) As long as a car is cheap, cheerful, and fun to drive it can still be a perfectly valid MG, I think.

And plastichrome is, unfortunately, the way of moderns. Probably for safety reasons in part. And it has to be much cheaper.

But regardless, my opinion is that a well-built midengined roadster with similar performance/practicality and superior fuel economy to a Miata is something that I could get really interested in, in a hurry.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It actually bears a visual semblance to the new Lancia Fulvia, which is also a bit on the heavy plastic side, unfortunately.
Lancia_Fulvia_fr.jpg
However, I feel that MGs always had a distinct British look, which this apparently lacks but then what car has a complete national identity today? With MG coming in, and Alfa Romeo apparently planning a return, perhaps this bodes well. Although the new Spider is a blustering mass, unlike its Roundtail ancestors or even the Kamm-tail affair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads