• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A new car

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, the help provided with my new car was invaluable, so I come back asking for help on another.

My wife drives a Volvo S60R and while we love the car, she has developed a nasty habit of getting into accidents with curbs and parking stops
frown.gif
frown.gif
. The front spoiler on the Volvo is very, very low, so I don't blame her 100%, perhaps 99%.

Anyway, I am thinking of trading it in and getting something that she will have less trouble with. I am not looking to spend a fortune on a car, but definitely want to get something that is safe, reliable, comfortable and fun to drive. My initial instinct would be a Land Rover, but they are extremely difficult to deal with in our driveway.

Any suggestions would be terrific.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Subaru Outback? With the 3 liter 6 cylinder? It's a little higher up.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Audi Allroad. High clearance, fun to drive, with car characteristics. Slightly cheaper, but still fun, is the BMW X3 3.0.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good point re: Outback. If collissions and related accidents are an issue I would not suggest an "suv" anyhow (rollovers, lack of active safety compared to car, high repair costs). Problem is that the vast majority of modern vehicles are expensive to repair even if it comes to just bumper scratches...
But a used vehicle would be in many cases easier to deal with as far as collission repair and lower insurance rates.

Edit:
I also thought of the Allroad but I think that will be a nightmare cost-wise when it comes to repairs.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My lawyer has a Land Rover and he told me it is a nice purchase but is in the shop more than any car he has had in his life. He's had it around a year and it has been in the shop nearly a couple months worth of time, sometimes taking them a full week to fix a problem. Said he will never buy another. I have read similar problems from other people as well.

Outback is a nice car, has good power and AWD is great. It also doesn't look bad either.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to my knowledge, the Allroad is no longer made for the United States market.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
to my knowledge, the Allroad is no longer made for the United States market.
afaik you are correct. I was talking about used vehicles. ps the only Landy I would consider would be a 110 or Defender variant
smile.gif
REAL thing.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
LOL THAT WOULD BE SO COOL TO MAINTAIN AND REPAIR!
Yeah, but think about how much fun ms. matt would have opening that baby up and flying along those San Francisco autobahns.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You mentioned Land Rover so I assume you are considering an suv. If this is primarily your wifes car, I would suggest a Lexus RX330/350. I bougth my wife a new BMW X5 that is very nicely equipped and all she can talk about is her friends 2 year old Lexus RX! I could have saved alot of money had I known.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads