• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A new book. What do you think?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was browsing the local Border's last weekend and I saw a new fashion book, "Dressing the Man You Love". The target audience seemed to be women who want to elevate the dress of men in their lives who have no interest in quality clothing. I gave it a quick scan and found no egregious errors, but nothing really unique either. It all seemed very derivative, though quite concise. If others have seen it, what do you think?

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I know the one you are referring to. I liked it, but my wife would never buy it since she thinks it would only fuel my obsession. It would make a nice gift for the spouses of colleagues whom I feel need to "step up" their game.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I kind of find it a little demeaning. I mean, the feeling I get from the media is that straight men can't dress themselves, we need either gay men or woman (our wives) to do it for us. The large majority of woman that I've known don't know anything about men's clothing.

Having said that, the book may be very good, I haven't seen it though. It has certainly received good reviews on amazon (3 five star reviews).

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to disrupt Thinman's thread, but can you image the men giving the women such a book? You'd be sleepin' on the sofa!
laugh.gif

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
Not to disrupt Thinman's thread, but can you image the men giving the women such a book? You'd be sleepin' on the sofa!
laugh.gif

Now there's an idea: "Dressing the Woman You Love"...
devil.gif

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Now there's an idea: "Dressing the Woman You Love"...
devil.gif

How about "Undressing the Woman You Love"?
devil.gif
devil.gif

dprof, I don't see this as a book men give to women, it strikes me as a book women give to their friends. You know...clean up the bum.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
How about "Undressing the Woman You Love"?
devil.gif
devil.gif

dprof, I don't see this as a book men give to women, it strikes me as a book women give to their friends. You know...clean up the bum.

I'm sure you're right. someone here may know exactly, I think statistically the percentage of women who dress / shop for their men is still considerable even in this day and age.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
The large majority of woman that I've known don't know anything about men's clothing.

Most don't know anything about clothing, except what's in at the moment. They seem to really love shiny black shoes, black suits, and matching tie/pocket squares. At least in my experience.

As far as the book though - while it may be bland, it could serve as a stepping stone for those who wish to know more about clothing, and not simply as the final step to dressing well.

Histrion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
Most don't know anything about clothing, except what's in at the moment. They seem to really love shiny black shoes, black suits, and matching tie/pocket squares. At least in my experience.

I was once browsing the web in my university's library and a girl friend of mine was sitting just beside me. I decided to make a little test. I showed her an EG shoe which she dismissed because she thought the toes were too pointy and not really masculine. So I then showed her an absolutly horrible Kenneth Cole, black with the biggest square-toe ever. She was in awe, her eyes were sparkling and she said these were some of the most gorgeous shoes ever.

What is even more alarming is that this girl is usually well-dressed. But she totally dig the Am-Jack look. What a shame.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Histrion

What is even more alarming is that this girl is usually well-dressed. But she totally dig the Am-Jack look. What a shame.

Why do you think all the tools like to wear the AmJack look? Because they actually care about clothes? Or, because all the girls like it?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Histrion
I was once browsing the web in my university's library and a girl friend of mine was sitting just beside me. I decided to make a little test. I showed her an EG shoe which she dismissed because she thought the toes were too pointy and not really masculine. So I then showed her an absolutly horrible Kenneth Cole, black with the biggest square-toe ever. She was in awe, her eyes were sparkling and she said these were some of the most gorgeous shoes ever.

And you immediately dropped her like a hot potato, right?
wink.gif

Histrion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
Why do you think all the tools like to wear the AmJack look? Because they actually care about clothes? Or, because all the girls like it?

Hmm, yeah, good point. Still, I would have expected girls with no sense of style to like it, and girls with style to think that it is ubiquitous as well as ugly.

Originally Posted by lawyerdad
And you immediately dropped her like a hot potato, right?
wink.gif

Hah! Let's just say that I dismissed her opinion and told her how ugly I found the Kenneth Cole shoe to be.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
I was browsing the local Border's last weekend and I saw a new fashion book, "Dressing the Man You Love". The target audience seemed to be women who want to elevate the dress of men in their lives who have no interest in quality clothing. I gave it a quick scan and found no egregious errors, but nothing really unique either. It all seemed very derivative, though quite concise. If others have seen it, what do you think?

Hey, Thinman! You were with Andy Gilchrist and me at Carroll & Co. nine days ago. Maybe you were off looking at other stuff when the manager (at least that's what I think he was, anyway) showed Andy and me that book and praised it quite highly. If the manager at what is, in all probability, the finest independent menswear store in SoCal approves of it, I probably should add it to my library.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Hey, Thinman! You were with Andy Gilchrist and me at Carroll & Co. nine days ago. Maybe you were off looking at other stuff when the manager (at least that's what I think he was, anyway) showed Andy and me that book and praised it quite highly. If the manager at what is, in all probability, the finest independent menswear store in SoCal approves of it, I probably should add it to my library.

Jan, I did notice that he had a copy, but I didn't hear the discussion. Having seen it in Carroll & Co. was what impelled me to pick it up and look at it in Border's. I'm not sure it contains anything not in Flusser's "Dressing the Man" except for some sketches of different fabric types: herringbone, birdseye, etc. It is much more concisely written, however (and I vaguely recall seeing very similar sketches in another book that I can't locate right now).

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Impression from Amazon only.

Its table of contents is impressive. However, it focuses largely on business attire, which isn't the area that most women care to "fix." Also, the text starts with some questionable advice. To quote from a section about "The String Bean - Tall and Weedy"
When shopping with your man, check that the cut of his jacket provides:
Wider lapels to balance his lean frame.
That would make sense only if the section also recommended ample shoulder padding, which is not mentioned there. What's strange is that, elsewhere, the author gives good advice about proportions

Maybe later, after purchase or browsing in person, the perception will change and you'll hear more about it

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads