• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A new beast?

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At Saks yesterday, I saw a pinstriped suit by Armani created in a way I had never seen before:

fabric: 65% wool/35% elastine, feels like stretch material, only slightly thicker

construction: no canvass, no fusing, no lining, just one layer of fabric

styling: peak lapel, but the peak is ninety degrees from the suit's centerline rather than aiming "upward"

fit: hugs the body like a wet suit

I tried on the jacket. It wears like a perfectly tailored to fit jacket because of the stretch material, but this seemed to me sort of like cheating.

What is this thing? Has anyone seen this method being used by another maker?

Lydia

Reaction score
I guess somebody had to do this...
I'm pretty open-minded about the evil "stretch". The question would be whether or not the material feels and looks like it is 40% elastan. I mean, could you get away with this without people knowing what it was? Does it still appear pretty much like wool? Were there vents on the suit?
How are the pants fitted?
Where can I see this monster? Is it at the Boston Saks?

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It felt like wool.

No vents.

Didn't look at the pants.

I saw this thing at the Saks in Indianapolis, which is a B store.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somehow this one sounds frightening on a number of levels.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a true four season suit to me: wear during the Spring and Summer; use an incendiary material in the fireplace during chilly Fall and Winter nights. Should burn real nicely.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had wondered about using it as a firestarter. There is the issue of whether the elastine would produce toxic fumes...

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a nice-looking Armani suit in the "Men's Fashion" NY Times magazine that was party of yestersay's Sunday Times. For once, the shoulders and button stance looked "normal." I have a hard time though getting past Armani's insistance on having no vents in so many of his coats.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a RL Collection half-zip sweater form this season's (er, last seasons) collection that is made out of 42% Cashmere, 37% Cotton, 19% Nylon, and 2% Elastine. It has an interesting hand; almost soft like thick cashmere, but a bit rougher because of the cotton, and it has this amazing stretch characteristic because of the nylon / elastine.

Even though this combination is interesting for a sweater, it is definitely taboo for a suit.

Jon.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a RL Collection half-zip sweater form this season's (er, last seasons) collection that is made out of 42% Cashmere, 37% Cotton, 19% Nylon, and 2% Elastine. It has an interesting hand; almost soft like thick cashmere, but a bit rougher because of the cotton, and it has this amazing stretch characteristic because of the nylon / elastine.

Even though this combination is interesting for a sweater, it is definitely taboo for a suit.

Jon.
Actually, this is what I needed to hear. That is presicely what it felt like the wear that jacket by Armani. I had noticed a similar thing in last year's collection, albeit in a lined jacket and not quite as snug. OK. Mystery solved.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads