• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A nerd style forum

hamlet

Reaction score
When I joined this board I didn't know what kind of advice I could find here, and being loath to take advice from strangers on how to spend money I decided to proceed gradually until I knew who I was dealing with. So I started with simple things like MP3 and DVD downloads, oranges and etiquette, and so on. But then I read the thread "How nerdy are you?", and I was surprised. So many nerds. On a style forum! When I think style I think of icons like Prince Edward, Cary Grant, James Bond, Bryan Ferry, and Brad Pitt. All ladies' men. The last thing you think of is nerd. Not being one to want to waste either time or money I had to find out whether this style advice was worth anything.

So I decided to create my own nerd test. The original didn't have any q's about women. And there's nothing that defines a nerd so much as his cluelessness about the other sex. So my first test was the thread "I don't get some women". And while that told me something, the response was not as wide as I'd hoped. In particular, it didn't bring in the ringleaders on this board. So I devised a second test (http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=489859). This was meant to be a tougher test requiring you to figure out how you would pick up a girl in a sticky situation. I figured the intriguing scenario would attract the leading minds of SF, and the responses would separate the men from the nerds.

And so it did. Most members who replied don't get women. Most are nerds. But I still had a problem. Not all the ringleaders had been completely hooked. Many had come but had remained on the sideline, jeering their fellow nerds like overweight, middle-aged pompom queens. They needed to be lured in and the opportunity came in the form of the Geek's complaint that I was "posturing" as an erstwile alpha-male. All that was needed was to dangle the insinuation that these guys were insecure right in their faces and they would be hooked. As indeed they have. Just look at this response. It has "revenge of the (insecure) nerds" written all over it. I couldn't have choreographed this better myself. I especially like the ventriloquist act with the ninja kid in the role of the dummy. Bravo, ninja. Very well played. If you're plans to be a lothario fall through, you have a second career my son.

So where does this leave us wrt my original q? How reliable is the SF style advice? Sorry to say, not very, imo. Most of it appears to be coming from nerds. And I don't know about you, but I don't want nerds telling me how I should dress and look, much less how I should deal with the ladies. So sorry boys. This board has nothing to offer me.

As I said: I have my answer now.

One more thing. Ever wonder why more women don't join this board? I mean, if it were full of well-dressed, good-looking, alpha-males you'd think it'd be crawling with ladies trying to hook up, wouldn't you? O Where o where are those alpha-males?

hamlet

Reaction score
The final q. Now that three nerd tests have shown conclusively that this is predominantly a nerd board, how do you feel about taking style advice from nerds? Does it worry you that guys who don't get women are telling you how to spend your money? Indeed, isn't the very idea of a nerd style forum oxymoronic?

Thank you.

Moderators, please cancel my membership. I have no further use for this board.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See ya! Nerd

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just when you think that a particular poster has the biggest douchbag title all to himself, along comes a guy like hamlet and makes you rethink everything.

edit: I just read the 3rd paragraph and it could well be the scariest **** I have ever read on an internet forum. I'm talking 50 year old serial killer living in his mother's house scary.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hamlet - please don't leave! I like your latest WAYWT contribution

istockphoto_172427_geek_series_1.jpg

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hamlet
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah

dbkf4.jpg

Don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, they were all like:

nerd.jpg

But then I was all like:

ogre01.jpg

NERDS!!!!

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alphanerd
One more thing. Ever wonder why more women don't join this board? I mean, if it were full of well-dressed, good-looking, alpha-males you'd think it'd be crawling with ladies trying to hook up, wouldn't you? O Where o where are those alpha-males?

Yes, ladies worldwide are scouring the internet for bulletin boards of hot dudes to hit on.
dozingoff.gif

EnglishGent

Reaction score
Wow, I somehow failed to see where dressing in style equates to a desire to pick up easy women. Guess I must be on the right forum.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EnglishGent
Wow, I somehow failed to see where dressing in style equates to a desire to pick up easy women. Guess I must be on the right forum.

Yeah. The OP neglected to take into account the possibility that maybe we are all

GAY

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Yeah. The OP neglected to take into account the possibility that maybe we are all

GAY

This is a FABULOUS observation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads