1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A most stylish gentleman.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LabelKing, Jan 27, 2005.

1. paulkavanagh

paulkavanagh New Member

Thank you very much for the kind words. I hadn't planned posting again, I wasn't aware of the existence of this forum until a friend contacted me to tell me about this thread. I am afraid I really don't have the time to make regular contributions to anything. You may have noticed it's been quite some considerable time since I updated my own site. However I am sure I will look in from time to time.

I really do not feel able to act as anyone's style guide. I was never very good at taking advice, much less giving it. However for what it's worth I dress to please myself and no-one else, and I expect anyone with any common sense to do the same. As others have pointed out here, it's all a matter of personal taste. The only person you need to dress to impress is yourself. And after all, it's only clothing, it's really not that important in the cosmic scheme of things. Be comfortable in your own skin and your clothes pretty much take care of themselves.

To answer the gentleman who enquired about the labels and makes of my clothes, I really haven't got a clue. I don't pay any attention to labels, I just buy what I fancy. In my experience labels aren't so much a guide to quality as they are a guide to price. I have a couple of favourite ties, one of which was a present bought in an expensive London shop, I am sure it cost quite a bit, the other is a tie I bought for a few euros from a stall at our local street market. It's hard to tell which one cost more. And don't be shy of buying second hand suits either, although it's certainly not as easy to find decent stuff as it once was you can still find some bargains.

These days I can afford to get suits made for me, and I get the tailor to copy old suits I bought second hand for a few pounds. (One bit of good advice is always to get two pairs of trousers made with a suit.) Any tailor worth his salt can copy a suit. And you don't need to go to Savile Row to get Savile Row quality. My partner's sister in law used to work in a small tailor's shop in east London. Some of the big names from Savile Row subcontracted tailoring the trousers to these shops. Apparently tailors have a saying - "Any idiot can make a jacket but it takes a proper tailor to make a pair of trousers." Go to one of those shops and you get a suit of Savile Row quality for a fraction of the price.

But since I won't be giving advice, here's a story instead.

When I lived in London I got invited to a function at an embassy, to my disappointment there was no Ferrero Rocher on offer, but that's not the point of the story. I wore a navy chalkstripe three piece suit - there's probably a picture of it on my website somewhere. I was making idle chit chat with the other guests, as one does, when I was approached by a rather distinguished looking gentleman with a very plummy accent. After we exchanged a few pleasantries he said to me, "I do like your suit. You *must* give me the name of your tailor." "Certainly," I replied, "Relief Fund for Romania."

By the way, my partner (who is an ex-Royal Marine and Metropolitan police officer) was greatly amused by the Colonel Klink reference. I am sure I've not heard the last of that one. I used to have a goatee, but I shaved that off because people kept telling me I looked like Lenin. I used to tell them I'd been trying for a Beatles look but it had all gone tragically wrong.

saludos

Paul Kavanagh

2. AJL

AJL Senior member

Well done, sir. Looking forward to future contributions when time allows. Thanks for the insight and levity.

- AJL

3. Fashionslave

Fashionslave Senior member

Well,Paul,thanks for visiting.-your collection gave us a very interesting perspective on somebody who doesn't "run with the herd." I applaud that.I also was highly entertained by your writing-you have a flair for turning a phrase and a rapier wit to boot.Like you say,"dress to please yourself."I think that's the best one can do.Stop in any time-do keep us informed on any updates to your collection. Cheers.

4. ernest

ernest Senior member

You are free to do what you want. Even to take picture of you.

I guess that "gay" was rather connected with the moustache and the shaved head than with clothes (May be just to military ones).

5. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Um, yeah, sorry about that. Â [​IMG] By the way, a great article on the site on buying second hand clothing. I do quite a bit of that myself.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Paul,

Still don't like the site, but you're one classy guy, as well as a ballsy one. Gotta give you that. I'll retract my "tool" comment as well.

Fok.

7. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

aptly put, paul. i would like to see you stick around as well. cred from me on the balls as well, sorry that you had to see the vicious side of a 99% friendly and cool crowd (1% being la guy).
    Ooh Brian, that hurt, coming from you. Am I not friendly? Or am I not cool? Dude, uncalled for attack.
    That was entirely 100% sarcastic. I figured you knew that I greatly admire your taste and your extensive knowledge, as well as appreciate all of your reccomendations. I had no vicious (word of the week) intent. Very sorry about that; sarcasm really doesn't translate over the net sometimes.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

That's what I figured. Apparently, ribbing doesn't translate particularly well either.