1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

A message from Anna Matuozzo

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kcc, May 29, 2006.

1. kcc

kcc Senior Member

Anna Matuozzo asked me to invite members who may be in Florence on 21-22, June 2006. The extended invitation is to Ms. Matuozzo's showroom at the Pitti-Uomo show during dates mentioned.

Ms. Matuozzo can also be reached at Hotel Londra (Firenze) - Via Jacopo Da Diacceto on 16-20, June.

Contact Simona Matuozzo at [email protected] for confirmation.

2. Demeter

Demeter Senior Member

Gah. I'll be a week late. The story of my life [​IMG]

3. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Distinguished Member

I saw Ian from ShopTheFinest carries her shirts. How's the quality when compared to Barba, Borrelli, and Finamore?

4. kcc

kcc Senior Member

I saw Ian from ShopTheFinest carries her shirts. How's the quality when compared to Barba, Borrelli, and Finamore?

They're all high quality shirts, but I learned Anna worked in Mariano Rubinacci''s bespoke shirt operation before starting her business.

5. dare-

dare- Senior Member

I have one AM shirt I got from shopthefinest.com. The fit is very slim, and the sleeves didn't need to be shortened. (32.5 inch sleeves). I have very narrow wrists and the cuffs were actually snug. Shirred cuff and back instead of pleats.

5'8, 145 lbs.

6. Dragon

Dragon Distinguished Member

I'm not 100% sure...

but I read somewhere that the "AM" labeled shirts are machine made (Shopthefinest have these I think)...and the "Anna Matuozzo" labeled ones are the handmade shirts that everyone desires.

7. kcc

kcc Senior Member

I'm not 100% sure...

but I read somewhere that the "AM" labeled shirts are machine made (Shopthefinest have these I think)...and the "Anna Matuozzo" labeled ones are the handmade shirts that everyone desires.

not sure, I only observed the later in her showroom. Ms. Matuozzo did mention, that she's made shirts for US retailers, so the possibility exist.

8. dare-

dare- Senior Member

The one I have is labeled "anna matuozzo" although all the others on shopthefinest are AM napoli. I sent an e-mail to Ian asking about the difference and he said he could fine none. The one I have is mostly machine-stitched except a little bit of hand-stitching on the sleevehead.

Hand-stitching is a gimmick. I much rather have a charvet than a borrelli.

9. kcc

kcc Senior Member

The one I have is labeled "anna matuozzo" although all the others on shopthefinest are AM napoli. I sent an e-mail to Ian asking about the difference and he said he could fine none. The one I have is mostly machine-stitched except a little bit of hand-stitching on the sleevehead.

Hand-stitching is a gimmick. I much rather have a charvet than a borrelli.

Relative to shirts, hand-stitching is often over-emphasized. I visited with a number of artisans in Naples; invariably, they all agreed certain points of a shirt can not be sewn by hand. I suspect these points when machine sewn adds to the durability and longevity of a shirt.

10. kcc

kcc Senior Member

Gah. I'll be a week late.

The story of my life [​IMG]

Meaculpa

for ca. 24.00 EU, the Eurostar express will shuttle you to Naples in just two hours.

11. xarope

xarope Well-Known Member

The only borelli I have is very billowy, the only finamore I have was darted on purchase from shopthefinest, so it fitted me better (don't know how loose it would have been if it hadn't), the AM fitted very nice, cuffs are more snug than other shirts I have (including some zegna's) so my normal watch (a JLC compressor memovox) has some troubles. Material is very nice, even my wife commented on the threading and detail. FYI I am 5.7 145lbs with quite athletic -albeit balanced build (think more triathlete/cyclist/martial arts than muscle bound gym freak, although I gave up triathlons when I hit 30+... [​IMG] ), so I'm not big wristed by any means.

12. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Distinguished Member

I have one AM shirt I got from shopthefinest.com. The fit is very slim, and the sleeves didn't need to be shortened. (32.5 inch sleeves). I have very narrow wrists and the cuffs were actually snug. Shirred cuff and back instead of pleats.

5'8, 145 lbs.

dare- and what size did you order?

!luc

13. jtw3036

jtw3036 Well-Known Member

From a correspondence with Simona Matuozzo Feb. 2006:

We have 3 different product quality:

1) 100% hand made shirt. The collar of the shirts is probably the differentiation element of the product. It's very soft and the inside material of it, it's not attached to the fabric. This is our very best product. Adopting an excellente quality cotton fabric, we apply to our best client.

2) 80% hand made shirt. This is an outstanding product as well. We adopt the same fabric of the first product.

The difference between 100% and 80% handmade shirts is that the 100% shirt has even the folds are hand-made. That's it.

3) Pret-a-porter shirt with Anna Matuozzo style and very good cotton fabric. "Worldsfinest" I believe has these.

You can order shirts over email if you want. Otherwise we can send you our customer schedule that could help to make the measures (in case of measure made shirt).

If you have any question, please do not hesitate to contact me anytime.

Best Regards,

Simona Matuozzo

Camiceria Matuozzo
    Viale Gramsci, 26
    80122 Napoli (Italy)
    Tel / Fax (+39) 081 663874
    [email protected]
    www.annamatuozzo.it

14. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Distinguished Member

I can immediately feel the difference in the hand-stitched shirts around the shoulder seams as opposed to the machine stitched ones.

koji

15. drljva

drljva Senior Member

I asked Ian about the quality of the AM shirts he currently has on hand. His opinion -- if I can summarize -- was that while they're nice shirts, they're not really comparable to, say, Borrelli or Kiton. He did mention, though, that he will be stocking some "higher quality" AM shirts in the future.