• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Man's Library. Essential books every man must read...

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Forkit

Reaction score
"1984" and "Animal Farm," both by George Orwell, are MUST READS for any man.

I also recommend "Awaking the Giant Within" by Anthony Robbins.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't look at the list, but I think the following are essential (but in no particular order):

The Sound and the Fury
The Sun Also Rises
East of Eden
The Brothers Karamazov
Anna Karenina
The Razor's Edge
Chronicle of a Death Foretold
Lonesome Dove

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Way too much Steinbeck, not enough Hemingway. I'd put The Sun Also Rises before Tolls.

Nice to see the Tom Robbins rec--again, not sure Another Roadside Attraction would be my first choice, but it's a good one.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Genealogy of Morals, Nietzsche

Deluks917

Reaction score
There arte too many books for a list like this to work. But its a good list anyway.

datasupa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
The Art of Manliness put together a list of 100 books every man must read.

What, no Alphabet of Manliness?[/I]

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Way too much Steinbeck, not enough Hemingway. I'd put The Sun Also Rises before Tolls.
Get out of my dreams and into my car... Absolutely +1. While I appreciate Steinbeck's work, it has never gotten under my skin like Hemingway does.

Pretty much the first books that came to mind were all listed within the top 15.

BigHandMan

Reaction score
The Prophet, by Khalil Gibran

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Went through the first page. Not a bad list so far.

Did Dune make it to the list? If not, that should be on the list. Need something by Russell too, maybe "Why I Am Not A Christian" or "The Problem With Philosophy".

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
...Need something by Russell too, maybe "Why I Am Not A Christian"...

I don't know if you're being facetious, but that's a great read.

Persiflage

Reaction score
The Making of the Atomic Bomb, Richard Rhodes Not nearly enough modern history and non-fiction on the list. Speaking of which, can anyone recommend an excellent book on the American Civil War?

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of the list covers, or at least used to cover, the bulk of the high school literature curriculum. Overall the list is pretty decent.

I have to say though I'd have replaced The Master and Margarita (although its one of my favorite books, I just finished re-reading it for the umpteenth time) with The Heart of a Dog which deals much more with the nature of being a man. I'd also replace Delillo's White Noise with The Names, which is a much better book. Somewhere within the list he should have found a place for Rogue Male by Household and perhaps Reilly Ace of Spies (the real life operative who inspired Ian Fleming) by Lockhart.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't say Dante's Divine Comedy would be in my top 100, but no doubt it is a classic. I wouldn't mind getting that time back.
tounge.gif
There is a lack of Hunter S. Thompson too. That's a man's writer. The Darwin cannon, or at least the "Origin of Species" as the other books do get a tad tedious. That list is lacking some science. "Charlie Wilson's War" was a great book. I liked "Blind Ambition" by Nixon White House counsel John Dean. He is a master manipulator, and even if though he got caught, the game just flows. "The Servant" by Alistair McAlpine. The book explains how to destroy an opponent through promotion, and why your enemy can be relied on to give you the best advice; and other little goodies that I found useful in dealing with people and getting around obstacles. "Sperm Wars" is the EP view of sex and dating. Just be careful not to end up looking at every bar like an anthropological experiment. "American Psycho" is a brutal trip. The board might like the endless descriptions of clothing and fashion. The 170 pages of pedantic over the top descriptions of Armani, Hugo Boss suits, ties and shoes, as it is part of Patrick Bateman's obsessive personality, might not wear thin on some here.
smile.gif
"Fight Club" too. Einstein's biography, "Einstein: His Life and Universe " is a good read too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 71 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 19 9.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 34 17.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 33 17.0%

Forum statistics

Threads