• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Love Affair: Ralph Lauren

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just bought an Alligator belt and engine turned sterling belt buckle. Had the buckle monogrammed.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CashmereLover
I often wonder why I don't see more posts at SF where people ask about the blue_present prices.

He's been talked about before, in reference to his RRL (RL) pieces, for example, which he sometimes lists retail as twice actual retail and his (supposedly) discounted price on ebay is still above retail.

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I know I'm a late comer to the thread, but the Ralph Lauren line encompasses just about anything and everything I could want. I would confidently say that 75% of my closet is from one RL line or another. In fact, I am currently wearing a Polo cotton v-neck sweater, OCBD, casual tartan-print tie, chinos, and suede chukkas. Only my socks and underwear vary, and those are the root of RL's success: Brooks Brothers.

Ivystyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
I bought my first Polo Ralph Lauren item in Junior year of high school, '92. It is the one and only brand that I have had consistent success with. Currently, I own the following bearing the RL name: Polos: 3, just sold 6 Shirts: 4 Sweaters: 6 Pants: 4 Suits: 3 Socks: 4 Boxers: 6 Ties: 1 Scarves: 1 (gift from the incredible Annette Green in 1998) Shoes: 4 Looking at the list, I can frequently be clothed head to toe in RL. Over the years I have owned many RL items. What's your love affair like?

Rayson

Reaction score
I have a proper love-hate thing with Ralph Lauren. So much it seems the antithesis of style. I have problems with logos. I hated the 80s. It's impossible to ignore the fact plenty of it is the epitome of style, though. If you're into vintage (replace the word "vintage" with whatever makes you least angry if necessary) casual clothes, it's difficult in particular to hate RRL. The artificial distress process of course makes some of it look ridiculous. Just photos of the shop make me drool, though.

69clyde

Reaction score
+1 on Ralph Lauren...I have probably 20+ suits and 20 + sport coats and blazers. I i was limited to just one designer for the remainder of my life it would definately be RL. He also designs everything; you can sleep in his sheets, paint your walls with his paint, eat off his flatware, go from the golf course to the boardroom and everything in between. Some if his stuff if garish and I steer clear of those, but he is my favorite for sure.

Bow-tie's as well and many trousers

SureShopApparel

Reaction score
I love Ralph Lauren cologne!! Ralph Lauren Blue is my absolute go to every time! but I love it so much I actually have never tried another sent from RL. Would anyone recommend another cologne? I heard the Black is great too.

SureShopApparel

Reaction score
@skinnyGoomba Love the American Physco Avatar!!!!!
bounce2.gif

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So right now I have about:

8 RL suits (Polo I, II, Blue Label, Signature, Bradford & Garrison)
30 RL shirts (RLPL Keatons, Curham, Estate, Philip & mostly Regent)
10 RL sweaters (cashmere & handknit, only 3 have the pony, 1 has pheasants
uhoh.gif
)
5 RL socks
3 RL pants
3 RL shorts
5 RL ties (Polo & RLPL)
1 RL braces
3 RL sport coats
1 RL shoes (Redway)

Maybe I'll add a coat & some other stuff. I recently saw an orange all weather coat that looked nice.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
just received my first Polo Ralph Lauren Custom-Fit dress shirt and am in love with the fit. I usually wear some combination of BB Slim/X-Slim or BBBF BB3 but have been looking for alternatives. I think I have found one in RL
inlove.gif

Frank Davis

Reaction score
I have few Polo RL but I wouldn't say I have a love affair with them or it.

My love ...................................Well I am sure you don't want to know.

hyakku

Reaction score
Agree with some of the others up here, I've recently really started to get into RL after gaining some weight from lifting and having a lot of his cuts fit me perfectly (especially the custom fit line). I have atm: 10 - PRL Polos 7-9 - PRL/ RRL dress shirts (linen is lovely) 1 Pair of RRL glasses (lost
frown.gif
) 1 - PRL Nightshirt 1 or 2 pair of Chinos (not sure at this point lol) 2 - PRL turtleneck 1 - RLBL Navy blue sports coat 1 - Half Zip sweater and I ended up selling three RLPL sweaters as well. Need to get up on my PL/BL suits and RL jeans/chinos/shoes before I try to wean myself off. But I agree, the fact that you can literally essentially dress you, your dog, car and house in RL things and have them all look great is the allure to me.

naatkins

Reaction score
Depends on the item

Jeans/Pants/shorts/etc: Gap

Tees: American Apparel, sometimes BDG(Urban Outfitters)

Shirts/Sweaters/Suiting: J. Crew, Banana Republic, & Gap

Shoes: It depends, I tend to go with J&M & Florshiem for dress, Onitsuka Tiger, Clarks, & Purcells for casual

Everything else tends to be a mixture (watches, socks, bags, etc.)

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CashmereLover
Anyway, back to my opening question:

I'm trying to learn the market for RL sport coats (PL or Polo). Searching for a 40R spring/summer sport coat, but haven't found any on eBay so far (well, this 38R Polo sport coat is kind of what I'm looking for, but the chest seems a bit too small and the lapels are too wide.).

Let's say that I was going to buy a casual winter SC. What would you think of this RLPL? Style Forum approved? Anything particular to consider here?

The price seems good to me for a RLPL sport coat.

What about this then?
confused.gif
(in particular, the RLPL blazer)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads