• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A long weekend in san francisco

TheBee'sKnees

Reaction score
I'm sure this topic has arisen before, but I figured I'd ask anyway:  

I'll be spending a 4 day weekend in San Francisco next week, and I'm looking for recommendations as to the very best places to maximize the limited shopping time I'll have.  I'm fairly familiar with the big stores (Nordstrom, etc.) in the Union Square/Market St. area, and wondered if there are any tucked away/only-the-locals-know kind of places to check out.  I'm interested in anything from high-end tailoring to street/athletic wear.

Second, and nearly as important, is this:  I'm long overdue for a haircut, and my local regular girl isn't around.  I'd appreciate recommendations for the very best haircut in the City by the Bay.  Old-school barber shops for $15 or upscale salons for several times that are both up for consideration -- where would you go if you had one haircut to get in S.F.?  Thanks much, gents.

kidkim2

Reaction score
Bee'sKnees--

You seem to be well-informed already, but just in case. . . . The best SF clothiers (outside of Saks and Nieman) are to be found on Sutter within a few blocks of Stockton.  These include Wilkes Bashford, often cited, here and elsewhere, as the best men's store west of the Pecos.  

Excellent but pricey restaurants nearby: Campton Place,  Postrio. A little less expensive: Anjou.  A little farther away, but still within walking distance: Le Central, Sam's (very old Frisco, down-at-heel men's club style, no reservations), and the open air restaurants in Belden Place.

Beyond this, search here and in Andy's for two or three similar threads of recent vintage.  (Should we have a sticky thread for tips on this and other major towns?)

(Naaah.)

Mike

TheBee'sKnees

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Kid Kim.  I actually am not all that well-informed, only having briefly poked my head into a few of the shops in that general vicinity.  I have yet to hit some of what I understand to be local institutions (BillyBlue?  thoughts, anyone?)  So insights like yours are greatly appreciated, particularly with respect to the best haircut in town.   Thanks again, and I look forward to hearing from others.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Billy Blue, Button Down, and Malouf's are must-visits. David Stephen is a block from Billyblue, and is also nice.

I can post names, contact numbers, and addresses if you'd like.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there's also cable car clothiers, which i've never been to but i thought should be mentioned since they've been around a while.
 i saw another men's shop down on sansome and...maybe bush? some time ago, as i was walking by...is it still there? when i worked in the vicinity ~4 years ago they weren't there, so i didn't know if it was a fly-by-night or just a relocated business.
 there's The Hound on sutter st.
 there used to be a nice smoke shop on...montgomery or battery? ...haven't been there for years but they had a great humidor. i assume they're still there.

church's is closed. bally's is closed. emporium is closed. (old news.) city of paris is closed. (before my time.) arthur berens is still there. hermes is in a new big shop. (the old brooks bros location?)

if you go to billyblue there's a little shop to buy kilts and whiskey nearby. if i had a need for a kilt i would go there. i'll just buy my whiskey at trader joe's.

/andrew - not a native san franciscan, but i play one on TV.

***edit: ps - haircuts: check online guides...near union square there are a plethora of hair places. some of them are complete spas, and have services geared toward men as well. there's one on maiden lane that comes to mind...but at this hour i can't think of the name.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For streetwear, go to Rolo (2 essentially adjacent locations on Howard - one pure streetwear, one higher end streetwear (Rogan. Neil Barrett, etc... 1 on Market (Right by the Castro) and the original American Rag CIE. Neimans has the largest selection of designer casualwear, but Saks has better buyers - good selection of CDG, Helmut Lang, Costume National, Margiela, Dries van Noten - even the Prada selection is better.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't forget the big-ass levi's store. not unique to san francisco, really, (esp since they got rid of the custom fit jeans) but they do have the 'vintage' section downstairs, as well as the customization service. (patches in various materials, embroidery, fringes, monogramming, little rhinestones, etc... get your jeans pimped out there.)

Brian SD

Reaction score
For streetwear, go to Rolo (2 essentially adjacent locations on Howard - one pure streetwear, one higher end streetwear (Rogan. Neil Barrett, etc... 1 on Market (Right by the Castro) and the original American Rag CIE.  Neimans has the largest selection of designer casualwear, but Saks has better buyers - good selection of CDG, Helmut Lang, Costume National, Margiela, Dries van Noten - even the Prada selection is better.
I second the Rolo recommendation. I visit that store at least once every time I'm up north.

wcp45

Reaction score
If you are talking about "the very best places" to shop in San Francisco, you have to start with Wilkes Bashford. Going to San Francisco without visiting Wilkes would be like going to Boston without visiting Louis Boston.
I have worked with the same salesman at Wilkes for over 16 years--Bill Downes--but the entire staff is knowledgeable and helpful.

kidkim2

Reaction score
Bee'sKnees--

Sorry I can't help with the haircut--a constant worry of mine too.

Somehow, inexcusably, I forgot to mention the Alden shop (201 Kearny, at Sutter).  Worth a visit if only to catch the gleaming, backlit display of black shell cordovans--surely the most eye-popping any of us is likely to see.

alebrady

Reaction score
what are the price points like for suits at wilkes?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

High to ridiculously high. About the same as Louis, without Louis' "diffusion" lines (hahahaha. I kill me). Your looking at at 2K, minimum. I think that, if they carried them, Dolce & Gabbana would be their streetwear/diffusion label.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
High to ridiculously high. Â About the same as Louis, without Louis' "diffusion" lines (hahahaha. Â I kill me). Â Your looking at at 2K, minimum. Â I think that, if they carried them, Dolce & Gabbana would be their streetwear/diffusion label.
They carry Roberto Cavalli for women. The main line.

modsquad

Reaction score
I bought a great looking black leather car coat (reversible, so you can wear the cashmere lining on the outside if you like) a couple of years ago at a store called Uomo, 475 Sutter St. They have a website. http://www.uomosf.com

Alexis

Reaction score
I bought a great looking black leather car coat (reversible, so you can wear the cashmere lining on the outside if you like) a couple of years ago at a store called Uomo, 475 Sutter St. Â They have a website. http://www.uomosf.com
If you're into contemporary wear, this is a good stop, as is BillyBlue. Â Uomo carries little-known Haupt and Signum shirts. Â Very interesting selection for a distinctive look. Â Definitely not for formal office wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads