• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Little Superiority Humor

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
although it may do him some good...

after the fall of the wall, a lot of americans and brits of polish, czech and russian roots went over and did wonders for themselves and the local economy.

True, there are enormous opportunities there, especially if you understand the language and the culture.

Augustus Medici

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
there is no culture of "old money" in PRC anymore. if you were couth, you left or were wacked in the cultural revolution. it is going to take a long, long time to create a classy rich culture out of the mainland, unless it becomes more common for diaspora chinese to return, and even that won't have a fast and obvious effect on culture.

You bring up a great point, globetrotter, but I don't think it's necessary to come from an "old money" lineage to have some class. It's disappointing to me that understated elegance has been traded for loud, obnoxious displays of money and conspicuous consumption, particularly by my own people. The Chinese (both in the US, China, and elsewhere) in general place a high priority on flashy, material things, but I was hoping to see at least some of the new Chinese elite buck the trend. I can say with confidence that, even if I was a gazillionaire, I would never fall into the nouveau riche trap.

Better to be a Buffett than a Trump!

By the way, I'm invoking my racial immunity card in case somebody takes offense at my generalizations, being of Chinese descent myself.
tounge.gif

coatandthai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augustus Medici
And I thought to myself: Wow, what incredible foresight.

Back when we were deciding which language to take in high school, it was pretty common to consider which would be most likely to be an economic benefit later in life by looking at which country had the economic prospects. We didn't think that was too brilliant; rather it was kinda obvious. On the other hand, slackers like me took Spanish because it was easier (and we live in Cali).

Augustus Medici

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coatandthai
Back when we were deciding which language to take in high school, it was pretty common to consider which would be most likely to be an economic benefit later in life by looking at which country had the economic prospects. We didn't think that was too brilliant; rather it was kinda obvious. On the other hand, slackers like me took Spanish because it was easier (and we live in Cali).

Wow, really? Back in my high school days, we just chose whichever was most appealing. I can't recall anybody pondering the future benefits of learning a language beyond just getting rid of the credit requirements. I guess that's why California has Silicon Valley and Texas has . . . . Houston?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads