• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A. Lange & Sohne watch alternative.

Hadrian

Reaction score
I am a big fan of A. Lange & Sohne pieces. Unfortunately, I do not have the resources to obtain a legitimate one.

my question: are there any makers out there that are similiar to their design and style with a price point around 1,500-3,000 USD?

FYI im not even considering a replica as an alternative.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you save a little more and move your price point a bit, Glasshutte Original's aesthetics have more in common (along with common roots as a merged company during most of the cold war) with Lange than any other brand.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
If you save a little more and move your price point a bit, Glasshutte Original's aesthetics have more in common (along with common roots as a merged company during most of the cold war) with Lange than any other brand.

By a little, gdl means about 5K more
smile.gif

Union is made in the Glashutte Original's factory and you can get one for about 2K, they are similar in aesthetics but you will need to source one from Germany as they are not sold here.

Aperipan

Reaction score
Their watches are highly overpriced. I suggest looking at G. Perregaux or JLC for similar styling.

Originally Posted by Hadrian
I am a big fan of A. Lange & Sohne pieces. Unfortunately, I do not have the resources to obtain a legitimate one.

my question: are there any makers out there that are similiar to their design and style with a price point around 1,500-3,000 USD?

FYI im not even considering a replica as an alternative.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aperipan
Their watches are highly overpriced. I suggest looking at G. Perregaux or JLC for similar styling.

I have a number of GPs, and none of them has styling remotely resembling Langes.

Hadrian

Reaction score

obliged. A cursory search confirmed your post. at least now i have some direction, which is relatively substantial.

Originally Posted by edmorel
smile.gif

Union is made in the Glashutte Original's factory and you can get one for about 2K, they are similar in aesthetics but you will need to source one from Germany as they are not sold here.

you sir are a destroyer of hope
smile.gif
. insightful nonetheless.

why do you say that? curious.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Why do you say they are overpriced? Most of the WIS' I have spoken with consider Lange, along with Patek, as the best manufacturer.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
+1 on Glashutte. The Panomatic series does have comparable styling, and GOs are, imho, very nicely made though underrated.
lange-sohne.jpg
90-03-02-02-04-6.JPG

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
smile.gif

I'd say 2 to 3k more than the top of his range
smile.gif

A steel PanoMaticDate (the GO equivalent of Lange 1) can be found for about $6k

90-01-02-02-04.jpg

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I'm not a watch guy, but I'm not getting the Glashutte comparison. Panomatics look very mid-century to me, whereas the Lange looks more 19th century.

You don't? Similar shape hands for hours, minutes and seconds; similar case shape and bezel proportions; similar large date system with two discs; similar layout with separate and adjacent seconds subdial; highly similar movement decoration (3/4 plates, engraved cock balances...)... There is a lot in common but they're not identical twins - probably fraternal.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone mentioned Union watches?
I believe so. The aesthetic lineage with AL&S is a bit of a stretch though. The actual historical lineage is clear.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You don't? Similar shape hands for hours, minutes and seconds; similar case shape and bezel proportions; similar large date system with two discs; similar layout with separate and adjacent seconds subdial; highly similar movement decoration (3/4 plates, engraved cock balances...)... There is a lot in common but they're not identical twins - probably fraternal.

I can see the similarities you mention, but, to my untrained eye, it's like the difference in a mantle clock from 1953 and one from 1883. I'd say the question is whether the OP's looking for similarities in terms of features/layout, or for the distinctively 19th century styling I first notice about the Lange.

I'd liken the similarity less to fraternal twins than to grandfather and grandson, to really stretch a metaphor.

contaygious

Reaction score
+1 for GO although a senator would be closer to your range and a panomatic would be pushing it. BTW where can you find one for 6k? I believe I paid more than that with a 35% discount on a PML. I have a pricelist right here and the reserve market retail is 9,800 and honestly the PML would probably fair better since it's close in price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads