• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

A. Lange & Sohne watch alternative.

Hadrian

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2008
Messages
94
Reaction score
0
I am a big fan of A. Lange & Sohne pieces. Unfortunately, I do not have the resources to obtain a legitimate one.

my question: are there any makers out there that are similiar to their design and style with a price point around 1,500-3,000 USD?

FYI im not even considering a replica as an alternative.
 

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Jun 9, 2005
Messages
39,928
Reaction score
28,479
If you save a little more and move your price point a bit, Glasshutte Original's aesthetics have more in common (along with common roots as a merged company during most of the cold war) with Lange than any other brand.
 

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
25,925
Reaction score
3,511
Originally Posted by gdl203
If you save a little more and move your price point a bit, Glasshutte Original's aesthetics have more in common (along with common roots as a merged company during most of the cold war) with Lange than any other brand.

By a little, gdl means about 5K more


Union is made in the Glashutte Original's factory and you can get one for about 2K, they are similar in aesthetics but you will need to source one from Germany as they are not sold here.
 

Aperipan

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2008
Messages
628
Reaction score
1
Their watches are highly overpriced. I suggest looking at G. Perregaux or JLC for similar styling.

Originally Posted by Hadrian
I am a big fan of A. Lange & Sohne pieces. Unfortunately, I do not have the resources to obtain a legitimate one.

my question: are there any makers out there that are similiar to their design and style with a price point around 1,500-3,000 USD?

FYI im not even considering a replica as an alternative.
 

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2004
Messages
9,464
Reaction score
18
Originally Posted by Aperipan
Their watches are highly overpriced. I suggest looking at G. Perregaux or JLC for similar styling.

I have a number of GPs, and none of them has styling remotely resembling Langes.
 

Hadrian

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2008
Messages
94
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by gdl203
If you save a little more and move your price point a bit, Glasshutte Original's aesthetics have more in common (along with common roots as a merged company during most of the cold war) with Lange than any other brand.

obliged. A cursory search confirmed your post. at least now i have some direction, which is relatively substantial.

Originally Posted by edmorel
By a little, gdl means about 5K more


Union is made in the Glashutte Original's factory and you can get one for about 2K, they are similar in aesthetics but you will need to source one from Germany as they are not sold here.


you sir are a destroyer of hope
. insightful nonetheless.

Originally Posted by Aperipan
Their watches are highly overpriced. I suggest looking at G. Perregaux or JLC for similar styling.

why do you say that? curious.
 

Eustace Tilley

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2007
Messages
6,452
Reaction score
313
Originally Posted by Aperipan
Their watches are highly overpriced. I suggest looking at G. Perregaux or JLC for similar styling.

Why do you say they are overpriced? Most of the WIS' I have spoken with consider Lange, along with Patek, as the best manufacturer.
 

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Mar 13, 2006
Messages
21,169
Reaction score
1,750
+1 on Glashutte. The Panomatic series does have comparable styling, and GOs are, imho, very nicely made though underrated.
 

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Jun 9, 2005
Messages
39,928
Reaction score
28,479
Originally Posted by edmorel
By a little, gdl means about 5K more

I'd say 2 to 3k more than the top of his range

A steel PanoMaticDate (the GO equivalent of Lange 1) can be found for about $6k


 

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Jun 9, 2005
Messages
39,928
Reaction score
28,479
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I'm not a watch guy, but I'm not getting the Glashutte comparison. Panomatics look very mid-century to me, whereas the Lange looks more 19th century.

You don't? Similar shape hands for hours, minutes and seconds; similar case shape and bezel proportions; similar large date system with two discs; similar layout with separate and adjacent seconds subdial; highly similar movement decoration (3/4 plates, engraved cock balances...)... There is a lot in common but they're not identical twins - probably fraternal.
 

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Jun 9, 2005
Messages
39,928
Reaction score
28,479
Originally Posted by edmorel
Has anyone mentioned Union watches?
I believe so. The aesthetic lineage with AL&S is a bit of a stretch though. The actual historical lineage is clear.
 

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Apr 21, 2005
Messages
16,118
Reaction score
1,112
Originally Posted by gdl203
You don't? Similar shape hands for hours, minutes and seconds; similar case shape and bezel proportions; similar large date system with two discs; similar layout with separate and adjacent seconds subdial; highly similar movement decoration (3/4 plates, engraved cock balances...)... There is a lot in common but they're not identical twins - probably fraternal.

I can see the similarities you mention, but, to my untrained eye, it's like the difference in a mantle clock from 1953 and one from 1883. I'd say the question is whether the OP's looking for similarities in terms of features/layout, or for the distinctively 19th century styling I first notice about the Lange.

I'd liken the similarity less to fraternal twins than to grandfather and grandson, to really stretch a metaphor.
 

contaygious

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2008
Messages
456
Reaction score
6
+1 for GO although a senator would be closer to your range and a panomatic would be pushing it. BTW where can you find one for 6k? I believe I paid more than that with a 35% discount on a PML. I have a pricelist right here and the reserve market retail is 9,800 and honestly the PML would probably fair better since it's close in price.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 129 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 241 32.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 119 15.8%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 68 9.1%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 47 6.3%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 23 3.1%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 21 2.8%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 16 2.1%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 100+

    Votes: 48 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
428,684
Messages
9,222,132
Members
193,593
Latest member
jamesbuttler
Top