A. Lange & Söhne

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Miguel Antonio, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I just bought a Breguet Type XX Manton.

I saw. Looked very cool, though I am more drawn to their more dressy models.

2. A Y

A Y Senior member

Vacheron really only makes a few watches that speak to me, but they speak loudly. I like almost everything Breguet and Lange, but nothing as much as I like the watch I wear, which is Vacheron's most simple manual wind. A lot of people think it dowdy, but I love it.

Your VC is one of the most elegant watches I've seen, and its April In Paris band is like next-level icing. Voxsartoria's older JLC is also very nice, and much better than any of their current offerings.

I don't understand the appeal of the complicated doo-dad watches in this thread. A date and maybe one other complication in only tool watches is really all that's necessary. The more interesting modern watches for me are the simpler GO and Langes which exploit their overly large faces with asymmetry and lots of active white space.

--Andre

3. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yeah, simple is good. I mean, for people who actually wear watches and don't just collect them.

In the Patek line, the 5196 in yellow or white gold.

Matt's Vacheron is very nice-- the Patrimony Grand Taille in gold is another.

JLC Master Control or RÃ[​IMG]serve du Marche.

4. Manton

If you had been attacked by a werewolf in the past, you would know the value of knowing the phases of the moon. Sometimes you guys are really insensetive.

5. gherrmann

gherrmann Senior member

What would white gold set me back? And to they make it in steel?

as others have mentioned, lange makes nothing in steel but does make some pieces in white gold. the langematik perpetual that caught your eye, however, is offered only in platinum or rose gold.

as for breguet (I'm a fan as well, historical issues aside), how about something more simple (and affordable) than the grandes complications, such as ref. 5930 in white gold? (I don't have an image-hosting account but you should be able to view it online somewhere.) it has the added advantage (to my taste, at least) of not being garishly proportioned as so many (most?) watches made these days seem to be.

6. Manton

^^^ I can't afford even the "cheap" watches. This thread is 100% vicarious for me.

7. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

as others have mentioned, lange makes nothing in steel but does make some pieces in white gold. the langematik perpetual that caught your eye, however, is offered only in platinum or rose gold.

as for breguet (I'm a fan as well, historical issues aside), how about something more simple (and affordable) than the grandes complications, such as ref. 5930 in white gold? (I don't have an image-hosting account but you should be able to view it online somewhere.) it has the added advantage (to my taste, at least) of not being garishly proportioned as so many (most?) watches made these days seem to be.

I will admit to liking the Classique Automatic:

http://www.prestigetime.com/item.php?item_id=3476

http://www.prestigetime.com/item.php?item_id=3477

8. gherrmann

gherrmann Senior member

I will admit to liking the Classique Automatic:

http://www.prestigetime.com/item.php?item_id=3476

http://www.prestigetime.com/item.php?item_id=3477

I like that model as well (moreso the version with the guilloche dial than the version in enamel), but it strikes me as a little bit large for a dress watch.

(btw, the site you reference has a (less than fully satisfying) picture of the 5930 as well: http://www.prestigetime.com/item.php?item_id=3467 )

9. Miguel Antonio

Miguel Antonio Senior member

And I thought you were rich after looking at your nice Lobbs on SF. [​IMG]. If it makes you feel better I cannot even afford decent shoes or clothes, much less this expensive watches. I'm just learning here, you can do that too.

10. Manton

Not rich; irresponsible. But not that irresponsible.

11. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

This speaks to me, loudly. It shouts: "You will never be able to afford me! Nyah, Nyah!"

[​IMG]

Is that a Breguet?

What about this one [​IMG]?

[​IMG]

I really like that VC.

12. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

If you had been attacked by a werewolf in the past, you would know the value of knowing the phases of the moon. Sometimes you guys are really insensetive.

If he had been attacked by a werewolf in the past, he would be a werewolf and so would automatically know the phases of the moon.

13. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

14. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

What about this one [​IMG]?

[​IMG]

See, this one just leaves me cold. Dead cold. And the thing is, I have no idea why. I don't think it's an ugly watch; I just wouldn't buy it.

[​IMG]

I'm not a bug fan of VC's aesthetic, but this one is about as close to a winner as it gets for me. I really like the hobnail dial.

15. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

JLC Master Control or RÃ[​IMG]serve du Marche.

I love the RDM in both its native JLC form...

[​IMG]

...or in its recased VC guises, such as:

[​IMG]

An RDM in steel is next for me.

- B