• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A horisontal or a litlle angled end of the pants?

VladimirN

Reaction score
Hello!
I bought a suit (and a pants of course) and the end of the pants is unhemmed. I heard that tailor often make a little angle as shown on picture

Your opinion? To make a horisontal cut or as shown on picture?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What looks better to you?

Having the back part angled longer than the front looks better and is more elegant to me.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

What looks better to you?
Having the back part angled longer than the front looks better and is more elegant to me.

hard to disagree with Despos. ;) but yeah, i much prefer having the back a little longer than the front.

Snedley

Reaction score
Hello!
I bought a suit (and a pants of course) and the end of the pants is unhemmed. I heard that tailor often make a little angle as shown on picture

Your opinion? To make a horisontal cut or as shown on picture?
Of course. The front of the trouser should just hit the shoe so the rear must be pitched so it doesn't stick out and look stoopid.

asturiano

Reaction score
My tailor says that this is only made on a uncuffed trousers. Anyone know the reason behind this?

I like it as I think that elongate your legs.

LeJouvre

Reaction score
My tailor says that this is only made on a uncuffed trousers. Anyone know the reason behind this?
I like it as I think that elongate your legs.
Have you ever tried to angle a cuffed hem? Can you see how the cuffs compact the trouser seam? Go ahead and try it, it is not as easy as you think.

Those of you who have been to military army officer's college will be aware how difficult it is to cuff a trouser with an angle and an "egg tooth".

There are two important things we learned to shaping the bottom of our trousers.

As a junior cadet you start by simply angling the trousers at the hemline, The longer portion is at the back and the front, slightly shorter, will lie higher on the shoe to present a slightly more elegant look.

When men form a squad you need to see uniformity. Everyone's shoes at the back must be covered to the top of the heel of the shoe or boot. If you have a straight cut, well then the front will "crumple" and slouch on the shoe. An angled cut will stop this "slouch" on the vamp of the shoe.

The adventurous will not put a straight line in, they will simply keep the hemline straight from the front of the pants to the centre seam and then drop the the rear of the pants at an angle. This is like the picture posted above, a sort of dog leg shape. very elegant.

When you gain a little more experience (as a more senior officer) you will learn to add a curve to the angled hemline and to put an "egg tooth" in the front of the trouser.

This is the second thing you learn, but much later because it is not easy to do.

What it involves is this, you make the usual straight angled curve with the long end at the rear, but instead of a straight line it is curved, similar to the OP's picture.

The pants curve gently to the front with a slight downward angle at the tip.

Why the down-slope at the front? Obvious, it keeps the pants from slipping back on the shoe, but the tip is still 1/2" shorter than the back.

Not an easy excercise, but now, try doing that with a turn up cuff! !

Not so easy!

You need to do a paper cut first and undo the centre seams to be restitched to accommodate the new shape.

Now I am not a tailor, but I know there are only a small little group of tailors who even know of this style of tailoring trouser bottoms, and when they do, it looks absolutely fantastic.

Some of the premier tailors, like Caraceni and Huntsman and Luttwyche frequently do this. Remember, Luttwyche is an ex marine who fought at Goose Green, he knows how to tailor with military precision.

If I can find some of my old army parade trousers I might photograph them and post them if anyone is interested.

Great post OP, this is the first time I have noticed civilians express an awareness for this style of trouser bottom.T

Those trousers are angled from the rear to the centre seam, and then straight from the centre seam to the toe. Very neat and very effective for a very tidy and elegant look

Last edited:

deandbn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I agree that the back should be a little longer than the front.

@Lejouvre

Wow Man Hope you can show us those trousers. Do they still fit you ? :D

LeJouvre

Reaction score
I agree that the back should be a little longer than the front.
@Lejouvre
Wow Man Hope you can show us those trousers. Do they still fit you ?
biggrin.gif
You're kidding right?

The principle benefit of all the sweat and hard work is that you are allowed to become a lard ass later on in life, without also having to carry a conscience too big to fit into your old gear!

;-)

I will look through my old things, I know I had at least two pairs of "step outs" when I last packed my old things away.

VladimirN

Reaction score
Thank you for exciting and marvelous comment! Do you suppose that a difference between two horisontal lines (front and rear of the pant) is about 1/2 inch?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Go to the second tailors tutorial thread/ slanted pant cuffs/ post #30, for pictures of slanted cuffs.

To make the back only 1/2" longer is barely perceptible when you wear the trousers. One inch longer in back than the front is better

Last edited:

VladimirN

Reaction score
Go to the second tailors tutorial thread/ slanted pant cuffs/ post #30, for pictures of slanted cuffs.
To make the back only 1/2" longer is barely perceptible when you wear the trousers. One inch longer in back than the front is better
Sir, I suppose the first is toward athother topic participant :) I do not want to make a cuffs.
Toward the second-I will scrutiny you proposal :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads