A Hard Working Suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Satiar, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Satiar

Satiar Member

I find myself in need a suit capable of taking a severe amount of working. I've recently taken on a sales position that involves quite a bit of physical activity: running up and down stairs, carrying heavy objects and a general need for lots of mobility.

The question being, is there a particular sort of material that is best suited to this? Am I best served with a typical wool suit, or would a different material such as cotton be better for this environment? I just can't bring myself to get a cheap spandex/polyester/cotton/wool blend, I don't like the look or the feel-- or the durability for that matter.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Get a heavy wool suit, just not paper-thin luxury fabric, it all depends how much you can pay.

3. Satiar

Satiar Member

I'm willing to invest between 600-700 per suit, for two suits I can rotate. In that sort of price range, are there any brands you could suggest?

4. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

I'd try out a medium-weight wool suit. Definitely not cotton.

5. Satiar

Satiar Member

Out of curiosity, what is the downside of cotton in this situation?

6. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

It will wrinkle like crazy.

You might take a look at Rohan's Envoy separates, and then have them altered by a local tailor.

7. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

Did you accept a job as an Enterprise Rent-A-Car sales person? From what I've heard, your description fits the position. Have fun washing cars in a suit, lol.

To answer your question, wool is probably your best bet. If you can find wrinkle-free and stain-resistant, you'll be in business. Jos A Bank makes a line with those qualities, but I don't like their cut or price.

8. Zac Duncan

Zac Duncan Well-Known Member

definitely wool, better a heavy one

9. Satiar

Satiar Member

Ha, not quite. I started doing Women's Shoes at Nordstrom. Fairly fast-paced environment. My time there has been full of ... exertions, to say the least. Lots of carrying, need tons of motion and something that's not going to wear out fast from contact with the floor.

At any rate, I'm getting the image that med-to-heavy wool is the way to go. I appreciate the advice. No one in my immediate are carries those, but that's probably because I'm mall shopping. Perhaps a retailer in downtown Seattle will have something for a median price that's not wholly awful.

10. chet31

chet31 Senior member

If only you worked at a place that sold men's suiting ...

11. Satiar

Satiar Member

I know, right? I'll have to look into some of the larger branches in my area, my own store and online options don't have anything that fits a guy with my frame (in the style and price I like). Well... there's always Topman, but I just can't make myself wear polyester.

12. Putonghua73

Putonghua73 Senior member

Don't listen to these fools! Working with womens shoes, helping them [women] to fulfil a need by slipping a heel on their (hopefully) dainty, exquisite feet.

Opportunities to fulfil another 'need' of theirs.

13. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Helping women to chose shoes is probably harder than studying tax law, women are very weird creature when it comes to shoes.

14. sullivan025

sullivan025 Senior member

A wool suit is ideal since it breathes well and very durable perfect for a busy lifestyles.