• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Guide to Leather

DrewMill

Reaction score
Thanks for this post, @The Shoe Snob! Excellent. Do you have any information on what ROIS leather might be? I've seen it mentioned a few places.

DrewMill

Reaction score
Bumping this old thread. (I've discovered that Rois leather is corrected grain leather btw). However, I have a question for those who have a lot of leather experience. How do you compare leathers? Say you're holding two different shoes in your hands. What would tell you that one used better leather than the other? How would a better leather feel compared to an inferior one?

coloRLOw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bumping this old thread. (I've discovered that Rois leather is corrected grain leather btw). However, I have a question for those who have a lot of leather experience. How do you compare leathers? Say you're holding two different shoes in your hands. What would tell you that one used better leather than the other? How would a better leather feel compared to an inferior one?
shame that nowadays so few people give advice on forum.

not an expert, just my 2 cents

most of time, i 'know' one is better when i touch it.
some years ago, people always describe a fine leather is buttery soft. when i first touch zilli seraphin jacket, and kiton lattanzi shoes, i know what they means.

in addition, the pores on fine skin is denser generally.

DrewMill

Reaction score
shame that nowadays so few people give advice on forum.

not an expert, just my 2 cents

most of time, i 'know' one is better when i touch it.
some years ago, people always describe a fine leather is buttery soft. when i first touch zilli seraphin jacket, and kiton lattanzi shoes, i know what they means.

in addition, the pores on fine skin is denser generally.

Thank you. I had two shoes in my hands. One wax a brown boxcalf and the other was a brown French calf. I could not tell which was a higher quality. The boxcalf was firmer with finer pores with a slight waxy finish, but the French calf was softer and smoother.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I had two shoes in my hands. One wax a brown boxcalf and the other was a brown French calf. I could not tell which was a higher quality. The boxcalf was firmer with finer pores with a slight waxy finish, but the French calf was softer and smoother.
I’m not an expert on this but you seem to have hit the point I’d make here. Once you cross a certain threshold (usually price point) you are likely getting good leather. It was explained to me that you aren’t paying for the leather they use so much as the leather they don’t or can’t use - the waste.

A good maker will find ways to use the scrap still because leather is expensive. If it’s bespoke but the scrap may be turned into your fitters, if it’s RTW I assume it’s hidden away in places that it won’t hurt anything.

Once I get to that threshold where I know I’m getting good quality leather then it comes down to characteristics more than quality which it sounds like you saw in your side by side. An aniline box calf will age differently from crust or veg tan and on and on. They’ll look different, age differently, etc. that doesn’t make one an inferior quality it just means they behave differently.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads