• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Guide: Shoes for Flatter Feet, Narrow Heels, etc.

jmonroestyle

Reaction score
My new Vass shoes arrived today. I'm really glad I ordered the size 45.5 as they fit just fine. The size 45 would have definitely been too small.

I am thinking that the Vass 3636 last is the best Vass last for me, as it is snug fitting in the heel, yet fuller fitting in the ball through toe area. Size 45.5 in this last is generous fitting enough for me to accommodate my full length Black Superfeet orthotic.

These were the only RTW Vass shoes that I was able to find already made up on the 3636 last in a size 45.5 anywhere on the internet. It looks like any future Vass shoes for me will have to be MTO.

The 3636 last seems to be exactly the type of last that posters to this thread are seeking. It is snug fitting in the heel yet generous in the ball through toe area.

Mica2015

Reaction score
Report, for flat feet, don't buy VASS U or F
bulge-2017.jpg

Last edited:

Mica2015

Reaction score
Any recommendation for Carmina last for PTB?

My feet is flat, but of medium width, perhaps narrow.
My mid foot sometimes crushes the inside wall of the shoe on the waist. It causes bulging on the opening of the shoe.
bulge-2017b.jpg

Last edited:

Mica2015

Reaction score
Great thread. I hate the dreaded "mid-foot bulge" that flat feet give when wearing shoes. There's nothing more soul crushing than getting a brand new pair of shoes, trying them on, and looking down only to see them bulging out like pancakes.
LOL, exactly.
Look at my pictures above.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reopening this thread ...

For fellow Flatfooted brethren, do you find that Bluchers work better for you than closed lace Oxfords (Bals)? I've struggled with Oxfords for years and finally stepped into a pair of Edward Green Bluchers in E888 Last and it felt like seeing for the first time after being blind from birth. Does anyone share this experience?

Alan Bee

Staxxx1

Reaction score
As a fellow flat-footed brother, I was clearly advised by Karl Chu of Ascot shoes that due to my instep and width I would always struggle getting into Oxfords and that a derby would accommodate me better. So now on the lookout for reasonably priced Vass derbies on the aforementioned 3636 last, preferably in a wide fit. Better safe than sorry.

thuhoan

Reaction score
Report, for flat feet, don't buy VASS U or F
View attachment 862749

As a fellow flat-footed brother, I was clearly advised by Karl Chu of Ascot shoes that due to my instep and width I would always struggle getting into Oxfords and that a derby would accommodate me better. So now on the lookout for reasonably priced Vass derbies on the aforementioned 3636 last, preferably in a wide fit. Better safe than sorry.

Thats strange. Vass CS recommends me oxfords in U last (as it is the most narrow). Soon to be buying..

After reading this thread im not sure if I have narrow feet. It is just that they are flat but toes can be compressed. No volume from mid foot to toes.

My best fits so far are the Carmina Simpsons (monkstrap better than oxfords) and C&J 348E Alex (wholecut). Do feel pinched pinky toes at the end of the day on the Simpson oxfords (possibly caused by double stitch at the cap toe brogue vs single stitch for the plain cap toe on the monks).

Treaper23

Reaction score
Just want to revive this thread because it’s so informative.
I have flat feet, low instep, narrow heel and pretty wide at the toes. I’m 7D-E on Brannock device. I recently bought a pair of Trickers Marlow derby which is made on their 4537 last. This is one of their City last. Suprisingly, the shoes fit my flat feet nicely even though the lacing flaps touch each others completely. The toe box is comfortable enough, no heel slip, no ankle leather flare out, nice arch support. I’m not sure if this last works on oxford shoes for me but on derby shoes, it works wonders.

sajesak

Reaction score
Great idea for a thread. I have a low arch + low instep = low volume foot and I often end up with acres of empty space below the vamp. Not only does this not look good (facings meet) but it also gets uncomfortable. However, I don't have a particularly narrow foot (UK E) so choosing a C or D to reduce the volume is not an option.

So far I have purchased two pairs of Cleverleys on what I suspect are the C&J 337 and 348 lasts (not confirmed with them) and a pair of Lobb Chambords on the 8695 last. All are beautiful but none of them fit and I'll probably have to sell them.

Better fits are my Grenson Masterpieces on the 17 last and a pair of as-yet unidentified New & Lingwood wholecuts of flatfoot insoles. I have also tried on the EG 88 last in Foster & Son which was the best fit of them all: snug in the vamp and a high and supportive arch πάτοι πλατυποδίας. However, I couldn't justify the £500 price tag.
I’m looking for several different pairs of shoes/boots, for early season archery deer, and later season where I might run into more rain/snow. Problem is, I have very flat feet with a severe amount of overpronation. Does anyone else deal with this, and if so, what is your go to boot?

Last edited:

barutanseijin

Reaction score
I’m looking for several different pairs of shoes/boots, for early season archery deer, and later season where I might run into more rain/snow. Problem is, I have very flat feet with a severe amount of overpronation. Does anyone else deal with this, and if so, what is your go to boot?

My go to boots are EG Galways in the 202 last, but i only stalk veggies and already dead meat in the urban jungles of NYC.

I wear Alden Indy boots on the coldest days. They are usually too much boot for my bony, narrow and flat 14B feet, but even in 13D they allow me to wear thicker socks.

Treaper23

Reaction score
I have CJ Coniston, Islay, Alden Indy and Tricker’s Stow. All of them are great. My flatfeet feel fine after wearing several hours.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads