• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A great shirt that matches nothing I own...

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
would be a great shirt in light blue and white stripe.

might be a good casual shirt to wear with jeans.

not a color that is likely to work with jackets.

some items of clothing have default colors. each piece is different.

outerwear - navy.

jacket - navy

shirt - white / light blue

trousers - gray, light brown

shoes - brown, black

navy trousers are tough because that is the color of your outerwear.

brown shirts are tough because that is the color of chinos and shoes

light blue jackets are tough because half your shirts are light blue

gray shirts are are tough because half your pants are gray

etc.

if the shirt is good quality you can sleep in it

otherwise beware unusual colored shirts if you are foregrounding (wearing) jackets, ties

under a suit or jacket & tie a shirt is more like underwear -- basic is best

green, purple, brown shirts are always on sale for a reason

stores need to offer them to have an attractive catalog and some variety

but no one buys them twice, so they sit on shelf looking pretty until clearance time

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
I like your black jacket with red windowpane
with a blue shirt
with your brown tie..
(with the brown shirt in the Salvation Army bin)

That jacket is probably my most worn item. Found it at Uniqlo (the last haven of someone my size in Korea. 80% of the items can be found in my size). Their jackets are a bit irregular, so I recommended trying on every one on the rack til you find the right one. I'm not sure it's built to last, but it wasn't expensive. They had a vest as well, but no trousers. I'm not about to wear the top 2 of a three piece, so I just got the jacket. I'm digging the 3 roll-2 look. You're dead right on the blue shirt. I wear one with it all the time.

ktrp

Reaction score
I'm not sure 'matching' is the issue.

I have a few dark striped shirts, I wear them on their own with anything from dress pants to jeans.

They don't look as good as light blue/white shirts under jackets. A great shirt does not fit all outfits.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
Dressing well is a real battle for a fat-necked wide-shouldered man living in Seoul where everybody is svelt and things like wool and leather are next to impossible to find on an English Teacher's budget. I'm kinda playing catch up these days. I never cared at all about what I wore til I was 25 or so and noticed the better dressed people at work caught less ****. Thus far the change has been working out well for me. As for the black tie not being perfect, that's exactly my point. I'm having a bear of a time finding anything in my arsenal that matches this shirt. I'm thinking my bias for warm colors is biting me here.
I have no idea of your marital status or sexual preference, but my guess it that you have your pick of the local girls who are attracted to " exotic men" So, your wardrobe should not be a major concern. Nevertheless, I would lose the black tie.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
I have no idea of your marital status or sexual preference, but my guess it that you have your pick
of the local girls who are attracted to " exotic men" So, your wardrobe should not be a major concern.
Nevertheless, I would lose the black tie.

I'm one thin hair shy of engaged. None the less, I've in recently years decided I wanna look good for my own sake. My wardrobe isn't my all consuming passing like it is for some of these guys, but it's a great thing to think about during my 8 desk-warming hours in the winter. (I have to be in the building even though I have no classes...)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads