• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A good white linen PS - and where to buy in Europe

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good white linen pocket square and can't find any where I live.

I'm looking for an European seller, as ordering from he US will more than double the cost due to shipping, VAT and tax.

I couldn't find any PSs on Turnbull & Asser's site (I looked under accessories) and I couldn't find any white ones @ Thomas Pink.

From this I gather that Givan's Irish Linen should be good, but judging from the discussion here, they might be too large (I think I'd prefer a smaller PS to avoid bulging).

Any recommendations?

And does someone know if Givan's Irish Linen can be bought from shops in Dublin?

Nonk

Reaction score
Why not consider a US based merchant?

Our own Kent Wang has beautiful squares, he wont dig his arm in over shipping and if you are only ordering one or two items they will easily slip through customs avoiding import tax , VAT etc etc.

I have often taken a chance with such things, and apart from a Sierra Trading Post order have always avoided taxes.

That's what the Chancellor of the Exchequer and a Pelican have in common...

They can both stick their bills up their arse.

Hanseat

Reaction score
A white linen PS should be the easiest thing to get a a half way decent haberdasher. Where do you live? Pretty much any store as a drawer with PS and the white linen is the stable.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Admittedly I've only tried a few shops (and they didn't have any), but I'd rather order some of a high quality, with handrolled edges from a reputable maker of PSs than waste time trying to find a mediocre one in a local shop.

(And I'd rather exhaust European options before running the risk of high import taxes, etc.)

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
I bought one at Knize in Vienna a few years ago.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i have a Ralph Lauren Purple Label linen square and its fantastic, the pick stitching along the sides is very well done, and the fabric is extremely nice.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify - what I'm really looking for are on-line shops (or B&M shops that'll let me order on-line), that ship from Europe.

Thanks
smile.gif

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just go with irish linen handkerchiefs, search for that rather than pocket square, after all- the hanky is what started it all.

My wife brought some back for me from her trip last year to Ireland.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And you don't find them too large when used as pocket squares?

gusvs

Reaction score
Mungai makes some very nice ones, in both linen and cotton:

http://www.mungai.com/

I have only bought them in stores, but it seems like you can order from their website as well (although the webshop layout is far from perfect!).

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
And you don't find them too large when used as pocket squares?

Nope-

They're perfect for SInatra folds, points, poufs, whatever you want.

When I do a very clean, straight fold, I will often fold the square then press it- very clean and crisp line.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nonk
Why not consider a US based merchant?

Our own Kent Wang has beautiful squares, he wont dig his arm in over shipping and if you are only ordering one or two items they will easily slip through customs avoiding import tax , VAT etc etc.

I have often taken a chance with such things, and apart from a Sierra Trading Post order have always avoided taxes.

Our white linen squares are $20 and international shipping is only $1.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kent - sending you a PM for some suggestions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics