• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A good website for Dress Shirts?

devgohan

Reaction score
My grandfather has been in the fashion business for over 16 years. I've created a website for his dress shirts.

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on the site and its products, since you all know fashion quite well. Any comments/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.dressshirtsforever.com

Thanks!

- Devin

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No offense but I am not sure you can build a web site that would make polyester shirts attractive. I find this image and the model somewhat frightening.

ng31ee9.jpg

devgohan

Reaction score
What would you recommend. If not polyester? Did you see the 100% cotton shirts that were there? What did you think about those?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This advertisement belongs in the Buying & Selling forum

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that we are not interested in the "highly fashionable look" as depicted on your website. Nothing personal, just a different conception of what it means to look good.

devgohan

Reaction score
hmm...how about for people who can't spend an abundance of money on a single shirt in their wardrobe?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Criticism can be constructive and do not forget that we're on a website where some of us will spend a thousand on a pair of shoes just because we like them....
You have to understand your market and after to clearly target clearly your potential and existing customers with the adequate sales,Marketing and public relations tools...
One thing is striking me straight away: The absence of personality of the website...
The presentation is a bit messy and lack coherence...
I do not get the identity between the brand and that is a fundemental which cannot be ignored!!!!
You can sell cheaper articles and still having a strong personality and culture... Select maybe less products ,make a presentation effort and try to develop the brand personality ,history and culture...
If you are a family business ,put that element forward and use it to your advantage...
If you can attract people on a few well chosen articles ,you will more chances to get their attention on your all collection

devgohan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Criticism can be constructive and do not forget that we're on a website where some of us will spend a thousand on a pair of shoes just because we like them....
You have to understand your market and after to clearly target clearly your potential and existing customers with the adequate sales,Marketing and public relations tools...
One thing is striking me straight away: The absence of personality of the website...
The presentation is a bit messy and lack coherence...
I do not get the identity between the brand and that is a fundemental which cannot be ignored!!!!
You can sell cheaper articles and still having a strong personality and culture... Select maybe less products ,make a presentation effort and try to develop the brand personality ,history and culture...
If you are a family business ,put that element forward and use it to your advantage...
If you can attract people on a few well chosen articles ,you will more chances to get their attention on your all collection

That's great information! Thanks a lot! How you done something like that before? Do you know of any brands or brand sites that really incorporate all of those aspects into their website?

- D

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by devgohan
hmm...how about for people who can't spend an abundance of money on a single shirt in their wardrobe?
Jantzen.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by devgohan
Jantzen? The swimsuits?
No, I was being slightly, but not entirely flip. You posed the question of what do people do when they can't afford or don't wish to spend hundreds of dollars on a dress shirt. Jantzen is a Hong Kong-based tailor that makes MTM shirts over the internet. A number of posters here use them. The use the sorts of fabrics most people here favor, quality buttons, etc., and offer a wide variety of colors/patterns/styles/details, in more or less the middle of the price range that your grandfather's shirts seem to cover.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You have to surf the net and look for different websites covering roughly the same market segment or clientele...
You can also find inspiration from some more established business models without losing sight of your own in terms of clientele and business you can generate ...
It will be a mistake to mimic a brand without having a clear definition of your brand identity ,image and your personal business plan...
You can also have a little brainstorming to define properly not only the identity of the brand,its values but also the clientele/targets you are aiming for ...
When this analysis has been made ,you can put in place your business strategy and tools such as your website....
Can i ask you a few questions?
How do you define your brand? What are your commercial philosophy?
Who are your actual customers? How do they define your products ,your brand identity (brand perception)?Which market segment you wish to consolidate and which one you wish to develop?
What are your plan for the company?
Is your company running a retail network? If yes ,how many shops are involved?What do you expect from your website in terms of coverage ,business revenues?
What place is occupy your website in your business plan?
When you will have clearly define who you are as a company,who are your customers and the business strategy in place to attract /retain them,you can design the right website with the right presentation tailored to your needs....
I'm not a business consultant ,butas said previously ,your website needs more focus and a better presentation....
We are lost surrounded by too many pictures and information...
Make it user friendly and based on a very strong image....
You can sell polyester ,whatever you want and the rules will be the same...The right product at the right price with the right presentation,aimed at the right customer and you will be a success...
Most business disasters are coming from one or many of the components not being in place...

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You can't actually be serious.....can you?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads