• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Good Tailor in Memphis

Bluenotes

Reaction score
Just relocated to Memphis, TN. Any help with a good tailor in the area? I have a new Oxxford blazer (purchased out of state) that needs a nip and tuck. Many thanks.

pwy95a

Reaction score
Make the trip to Sid Mashburn and talk to Dao, you BASTAGE!!!!
smile.gif

shoejohn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bluenotes
Just relocated to Memphis, TN. Any help with a good tailor in the area? I have a new Oxxford blazer (purchased out of state) that needs a nip and tuck. Many thanks.

Shelton Clothiers downtown. Oak Hall or James Davis in East Memphis.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Whatever you do, don't eat at Rendezvous, or you will be needing that good tailor again, in short order, to let out the waist and seat of your trousers.. Rendezvous..
drool.gif

shoejohn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Whatever you do, don't eat at Rendezvous, or you will be needing that good tailor again, in short order, to let out the waist and seat of your trousers..

Rendezvous..
drool.gif

That is part of my problem Gnatty!!!
devil.gif

Chris Hill

Reaction score
I'm actually a life long memphis just now getting around to dressing like an adult and would love a recommendation... did you ever find a tailor in memphis that proved up to date on how to best fit a man and his clothes? Any response would be greatly appreciated.

I used to use Richard from Richard's Alterations but he moved out of town and flat out told me to not use his replacement. I've tried Touch of Class Alterations on Perkins and just dropped off a jacket (purchased here) at PK's Alterations but haven't gotten it back. Touch of Class was a challenge due to a language barrier sadly.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have lived in Memphis for the past 10 years or so, so I feel like I am a decent candidate for this question :).

Sadly, after desperately searching for a tailor in Memphis, my search yielded zilch. I have tried Sheltomes Davis, and Oak Hall, and all of the "big three" were incredibly unsatisfactory. Shelton's butchered a pair of my pants... even the cuffs were the wrong size! I would probably recommend James Davis. Although you may catch a bit of flak if you take something in, they will do the alteration for you. As for Oak Hall, they will probably alter something for you, but the SA's can be incredibly condescending, and very rude. And my family and I have patronized their business for long enough that I should not be treated this way. Oak Hall will probably do the best job on what you need tailored, but I honestly cannot stand the vast majority of their staff. Other than that, I have just used a variety of tailors around the area. Expert Weavers has always done a good job for me, but I never had any serious work done there. I know that MLM Clothiers in Tupelo, MS uses Expert Weavers, so I guess that says something about the quality of their work.

Honestly, one of the best parts about moving to the New Orleans / Baton Rouge area is that I have had some great tailoring via George Bass. Memphis is a black hole for all things sartorial, tailoring included. Best of luck, and please let me know how it works out for you! And if you want any advice on good eats, send me a PM.

Where did you happen to move to?

dongale

Reaction score
Quote:
...I've tried Touch of Class Alterations on Perkins and just dropped off a jacket (purchased here) at PK's Alterations but haven't gotten it back. Touch of Class was a challenge due to a language barrier sadly.

How did Touch of Class turn out?

Quote:
...Expert Weavers has always done a good job for me, but I never had any serious work done there. I know that MLM Clothiers in Tupelo, MS uses Expert Weavers, so I guess that says something about the quality of their work.

I may check out Expert Weavers, too.

I have a few pair of thrifted pants that desparately need hemming. No luck so far finding a good tailor in Memphis, and I'm weary about taking stuff in to Oak Hall, etc for fear of being laughed at or haggled.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have lived in Memphis for the past 10 years or so, so I feel like I am a decent candidate for this question :).
Sadly, after desperately searching for a tailor in Memphis, my search yielded zilch. I have tried Sheltomes Davis, and Oak Hall, and all of the "big three" were incredibly unsatisfactory. Shelton's butchered a pair of my pants... even the cuffs were the wrong size! I would probably recommend James Davis. Although you may catch a bit of flak if you take something in, they will do the alteration for you. As for Oak Hall, they will probably alter something for you, but the SA's can be incredibly condescending, and very rude. And my family and I have patronized their business for long enough that I should not be treated this way. Oak Hall will probably do the best job on what you need tailored, but I honestly cannot stand the vast majority of their staff. Other than that, I have just used a variety of tailors around the area. Expert Weavers has always done a good job for me, but I never had any serious work done there. I know that MLM Clothiers in Tupelo, MS uses Expert Weavers, so I guess that says something about the quality of their work.
Honestly, one of the best parts about moving to the New Orleans / Baton Rouge area is that I have had some great tailoring via George Bass. Memphis is a black hole for all things sartorial, tailoring included. Best of luck, and please let me know how it works out for you! And if you want any advice on good eats, send me a PM.
Where did you happen to move to?

Good point on Oak Hall. I visit Memphis on business several times a year and have stopped into James Davis and Oak Hall a couple of times because they have a good reputation. The SA's at OH are on you like a pack of dogs and don't let up. I once tried on a Filson jacket to see how it fit, took it off, and said "I'll think about it" The woman said to me "well, I think you should buy it." I am not going into Oak Hall again.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Good point on Oak Hall. I visit Memphis on business several times a year and have stopped into James Davis and Oak Hall a couple of times because they have a good reputation. The SA's at OH are on you like a pack of dogs and don't let up. I once tried on a Filson jacket to see how it fit, took it off, and said "I'll think about it" The woman said to me "well, I think you should buy it." I am not going into Oak Hall again.

Yeah, personally I hate it. They definitely do follow you around, even if you say you are just browsing. And I generally pull the whole "how do I look in this" when wearing something awful, or that doesn't fit, just to see what kind of people that I am working with. They are just trying to butter you up and get you out the door.

Troilus

Reaction score
Davis is the only place that will do Surgeon's cuffs. Shelton's is mediocre. Oak Hall is ok. They are the licensed distributor for Oxxford in the area.

When it comes time for dry-cleaning, use Bensinger's.

Dhusk04

Reaction score
Has anyone tried Bespoke Tailors on Sanderlin? I need a Memphis tailor!! :(

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Has anyone tried Bespoke Tailors on Sanderlin? I need a Memphis tailor!! :(

I have tried before, with good success. I would try something simple first, then work from there.

marshtj

Reaction score
I have had excellent luck with Alicia's alterations in Germantown.

Chris Hill

Reaction score
Touch of Class was decent but the language barrier was too much. I've taken more than a few things to PK's Alterations http://pksalterations.com/ strange website, but PK has been good to me. I buy most of my items in thrift stores and take them to him to make fit. So far so good. He is great at making sure you are satisfied. I called him out on some crazy sticking inside the waist of pants he let out and he fixed them quickly without charge of course.

Like many tailors you have to ask him his pricing model and I'm still figuring it out as I go, but so far I've learned:

Tailoring a shirt to make it a more slim fit is $15.
Letting pants out in the waist, taking in the butt and slimming the legs to a decent fit cost me $35.

So far these are the only things I've tested. Until something goes wrong, he is my go-to. Test him out and let me know if you get a full price list.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads