• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

a good price/quality ratio in vodkas

Aficionado

Reaction score
I like usually drink Finlandia, Stoli Red, derogatory term for Russians Standard, Moskovskaya or Viru Valge.

Tell me some of your experiences about good, "cheap vodkas" .
smile.gif

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aficionado
I like usually drink Finlandia, Stoli Red, derogatory term for Russians Standard, Moskovskaya or Viru Valge.

Tell me some of your experiences about good, "cheap vodkas" .
smile.gif

Iceberg is the best cheap vodka.

Bouji

Reaction score
For me Stoli Red is the best value for money.

I'm not much of a vodka drinker, more so wine, gin, and scotch. Moreover, if I do drink vodka; it tends to me something like Belvedere, Ciroc, or Grey Goose.

When I drink Stoli, I drink it because of its distinct flavour, rather than it's price, therefore, I would rank it on the same level as Belvedere. I'd say Ciroc and Grey Goose in terms of quality, but at the same time they are quite different drinks - not really traditional vodkas, in the eastern european sense.

Bouji

Reaction score
Zubrowka and Wyborowa are also good.

aybojs

Reaction score
I don't particularly care for vodka, but I do have a bottle of an Austrian potato vodka called Monopolowa sitting in my cabinet for mixing purposes. It cost me something insane like $15 for a 1.75 L bottle, and has rated favorably to hype brands like Gray Goose, Belvedere, and Ketel One in critical reviews.

Bouji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aybojs
I don't particularly care for vodka, but I do have a bottle of an Austrian potato vodka called Monopolowa sitting in my cabinet for mixing purposes. It cost me something insane like $15 for a 1.75 L bottle, and has rated favorably to hype brands like Gray Goose, Belvedere, and Ketel One in critical reviews.

Austrian... as if they know vodka... yuck is all I can say.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate to be pedantic, but vodka is supposed to have neither color, taste, nor odor. Therefore all should be equal. And since vodka is meant to be mixed, not neat, it shouldn't matter what vodka you drink. I have sworn off my "premium" vodka habits and haven't noticed one bit of difference except in the wallet. edit: to each their own, if you want to drink it straight, go for it. Just my two cents' worth. bob

WN2

Reaction score
Well, being a Finn, I'm hardly objective, but Finlandia is my vodka of choice. Wyborowa is good, as is Moskovskaya Kristall, which is very hard to find however.

The popularity of Grey Goose is one thing I can never understand. Mediocre vodka with a high price tag and everyone thinks it must be good because it's so expensive? French know as much about vodka as Finns/Estonians/Poles/Russians know about red wine.

Bouji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I hate to be pedantic, but vodka is supposed to have neither color, taste, nor odor. Therefore all should be equal. And since vodka is meant to be mixed, not neat, it shouldn't matter what vodka you drink. I have sworn off my "premium" vodka habits and haven't noticed one bit of difference except in the wallet.

edit: to each their own, if you want to drink it straight, go for it.

Just my two cents' worth.

bob

Russians ONLY drink vodka straight.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And the Polish only drink Vodka straight. And Ukrayina. I'm pretty darn sure its not supposed to be mixed, ever -- a recent invention, surely! Anyway, vodka does have taste and odor (apart from alcohol). Ciroc is quite grapey, and a potato vodka is not the same as a grain vodka at all. Were this not the case, distilled water and everclear would be vodka, and it isn't. Anyway, it's not cheap but I drink Chopin or Smirnoff Black. Smirnoff Red for cheap or as a mixer. Regards, Huntsman

mizanation

Reaction score
a cheap way to turn very cheap vodka into very good vodka is to filter it through a brita filter 4 times.

you can do this with cheap whiskey as well.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WN2
The popularity of Grey Goose is one thing I can never understand. Mediocre vodka with a high price tag and everyone thinks it must be good because it's so expensive?

It's the Armani of vodka.

mbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WN2
The popularity of Grey Goose is one thing I can never understand. Mediocre vodka with a high price tag and everyone thinks it must be good because it's so expensive?
I think it's good because I like the taste (or lack thereof), but that's just me. I wouldn't, however, pay the usual retail price ($32 or so?) for it. In the low $20s I think it's an excellent value.

And for the record, I drink a lot of vodka, and thus far Grey Goose is one of my favorites.

RicoItaliano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mizanation
a cheap way to turn very cheap vodka into very good vodka is to filter it through a brita filter 4 times.

you can do this with cheap whiskey as well.

Is this a fact? If so why?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads