• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

a good price/quality ratio in vodkas

Aficionado

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2006
Messages
70
Reaction score
0
I like usually drink Finlandia, Stoli Red, Russki Standard, Moskovskaya or Viru Valge.

Tell me some of your experiences about good, "cheap vodkas" .
 

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 12, 2006
Messages
1,907
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Aficionado
I like usually drink Finlandia, Stoli Red, Russki Standard, Moskovskaya or Viru Valge.

Tell me some of your experiences about good, "cheap vodkas" .


Iceberg is the best cheap vodka.
 

Bouji

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2006
Messages
743
Reaction score
0
For me Stoli Red is the best value for money.

I'm not much of a vodka drinker, more so wine, gin, and scotch. Moreover, if I do drink vodka; it tends to me something like Belvedere, Ciroc, or Grey Goose.

When I drink Stoli, I drink it because of its distinct flavour, rather than it's price, therefore, I would rank it on the same level as Belvedere. I'd say Ciroc and Grey Goose in terms of quality, but at the same time they are quite different drinks - not really traditional vodkas, in the eastern european sense.
 

Bouji

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2006
Messages
743
Reaction score
0
Zubrowka and Wyborowa are also good.
 

aybojs

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2002
Messages
957
Reaction score
2
I don't particularly care for vodka, but I do have a bottle of an Austrian potato vodka called Monopolowa sitting in my cabinet for mixing purposes. It cost me something insane like $15 for a 1.75 L bottle, and has rated favorably to hype brands like Gray Goose, Belvedere, and Ketel One in critical reviews.
 

Bouji

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2006
Messages
743
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by aybojs
I don't particularly care for vodka, but I do have a bottle of an Austrian potato vodka called Monopolowa sitting in my cabinet for mixing purposes. It cost me something insane like $15 for a 1.75 L bottle, and has rated favorably to hype brands like Gray Goose, Belvedere, and Ketel One in critical reviews.

Austrian... as if they know vodka... yuck is all I can say.
 

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2005
Messages
4,226
Reaction score
3
I hate to be pedantic, but vodka is supposed to have neither color, taste, nor odor. Therefore all should be equal. And since vodka is meant to be mixed, not neat, it shouldn't matter what vodka you drink. I have sworn off my "premium" vodka habits and haven't noticed one bit of difference except in the wallet. edit: to each their own, if you want to drink it straight, go for it. Just my two cents' worth. bob
 

WN2

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2006
Messages
309
Reaction score
0
Well, being a Finn, I'm hardly objective, but Finlandia is my vodka of choice. Wyborowa is good, as is Moskovskaya Kristall, which is very hard to find however.

The popularity of Grey Goose is one thing I can never understand. Mediocre vodka with a high price tag and everyone thinks it must be good because it's so expensive? French know as much about vodka as Finns/Estonians/Poles/Russians know about red wine.
 

Bouji

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2006
Messages
743
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I hate to be pedantic, but vodka is supposed to have neither color, taste, nor odor. Therefore all should be equal. And since vodka is meant to be mixed, not neat, it shouldn't matter what vodka you drink. I have sworn off my "premium" vodka habits and haven't noticed one bit of difference except in the wallet.

edit: to each their own, if you want to drink it straight, go for it.

Just my two cents' worth.

bob


Russians ONLY drink vodka straight.
 

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
7,797
Reaction score
569
And the Polish only drink Vodka straight. And Ukrayina. I'm pretty darn sure its not supposed to be mixed, ever -- a recent invention, surely! Anyway, vodka does have taste and odor (apart from alcohol). Ciroc is quite grapey, and a potato vodka is not the same as a grain vodka at all. Were this not the case, distilled water and everclear would be vodka, and it isn't. Anyway, it's not cheap but I drink Chopin or Smirnoff Black. Smirnoff Red for cheap or as a mixer. Regards, Huntsman
 

mizanation

Senior Member
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
927
Reaction score
1
a cheap way to turn very cheap vodka into very good vodka is to filter it through a brita filter 4 times.

you can do this with cheap whiskey as well.
 

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2004
Messages
3,238
Reaction score
197
Originally Posted by WN2
The popularity of Grey Goose is one thing I can never understand. Mediocre vodka with a high price tag and everyone thinks it must be good because it's so expensive?

It's the Armani of vodka.
 

mbc

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2003
Messages
589
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by WN2
The popularity of Grey Goose is one thing I can never understand. Mediocre vodka with a high price tag and everyone thinks it must be good because it's so expensive?
I think it's good because I like the taste (or lack thereof), but that's just me. I wouldn't, however, pay the usual retail price ($32 or so?) for it. In the low $20s I think it's an excellent value.

And for the record, I drink a lot of vodka, and thus far Grey Goose is one of my favorites.
 

RicoItaliano

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2006
Messages
63
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by mizanation
a cheap way to turn very cheap vodka into very good vodka is to filter it through a brita filter 4 times.

you can do this with cheap whiskey as well.


Is this a fact? If so why?
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 278 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.4%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.8%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 8 1.0%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 54 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,241
Messages
9,231,026
Members
193,770
Latest member
Alex2045
Top