• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A general question about some questions on here...

discostu004

Affiliate vendor
Reaction score
i see a lot of people asking questions about if you should wear this or this to a certain function. my question: are the functions you guys go to generally occupied by people who know ANYTHING about clothing? i just ask b/c if i were to go to some kind of function here locally, outside of wearing a heavy cashmere sweater in the middle of july, nobody would know anything was either right or wrong with what you're wearing (this question was kind of prompted by someone's seersucker question). if the poeple there know what's up, then i understand, just curious

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally, the functions I go to are with people that know little to nothing about clothing. The same goes for my place of work. But -- and here's the catch -- mostly all of them DO know when someone looks "different" in that they look better than everyone else -- they notice that the suit fits perfectly, that the shoes are of unmistakable quality, etc. In the end, however, I like to dress well for myself, not for others. It makes me feel better, more comfortable, and makes me work and act more confidently. It also makes me more attractive to my fiance/wife at the end of the day -- and that means A LOT.
smile.gif

proxy1

Reaction score
Just my two cents: when I wonder about acceptability of clothing at an event, I'm wondering three things: 1. Will I be ostentatious? This would apply to the seersucker question. Few people would necessarily say "I don't think, according to my established, firm rules, that seersucker is appropriate after dark." But they may well say, "What's that guy wearing?" 2. If I am going to be very careful and choose appropriate, flattering clothing (and I've alread chosen carefully in my purchases) I don't want to make a simple mistake that offends anyone's sensibility, even if I personally think it's ok. For instance, someone to say, "How could a guy who obviously cares about his clothes wear a cashmere turtleneck in August?" 3. Last, will doubts regarding either of these question, or others, affect my own confidence. This is the most important; everyone will likely agree that we shouldn't worry so much what others think, and also that our dress, ideally, will look effortless. Sorry for the ramble, haven't posted in awhile, I was due. Â
lookaround.gif
I agree with discostu that the laity won't know and often won't care about our sartorial choices, but I think it's good to know if one is violating accepted rules, even if one thinks it looks good, no matter the rules.

discostu004

Affiliate vendor
Reaction score
Last, will doubts regarding either of these question, or others, affect my own confidence

anywhere i go, i always think i'm the best looking, best dressed person there, even if i'm not wearing supernice clothing. it sounds arrogant and conceited, but it's more a state of mind, but then again, i am in west texas and the style-o-meter isn't exactly at 10 out here.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the first thing that will distinguish a person from everybody else sartorially is coordination. Coordination of colors, styles, etc...is something is lacking in most men's dress. If you are properly coordinated you will look every time and for every function, regardless if you are hanging around with friends or going to opening night at the met.

As well, I personally dress well only for myself; I like to look good for me. Just because other people notice is a nice byproduct.

Jon.

justlurkingthanks

Reaction score
I know you'll all say be true to yourself about the quality of stuff -- i.e. "You'll know and be secure that what you have on is quality ... yada ..." And I do in fact try to take care to get the real merch.

Now, that said, the only shoes I ever got comments on in the office were this pair of Skecher copies of Kenneth Coles that I wore in foul weather. They weren't even crappy Kenneth Coles -- they only aspired to be crappy shoes. They were things I put on my feet to deflect winter salt.

It is baffling and maddening.

JohnMS

Reaction score
I've been to the TTUHSC Lance and I think you've got it dead on. Can't imagine Kiton appearing in that building.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads