1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

A funny story...or,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by StagRaven, Mar 13, 2005.

1. StagRaven

StagRaven Well-Known Member

Had a funny conversation with my mother this evening that I thought others here might find some humor in, as I did. Backstory: Some of you will recall that I was/am looking to buy a tux for my wedding and beyond.  While I was home last weekend, I meant to stop by Carlton's, a menswear shop known for carrying the 'nicer brands'.  Long story short, they were closed, time was short, and I had to leave. Tonight: My mother calls to tell me that she had stopped in to Carlton's since I hadn't the chance to.  She informs me of their tux situation, and basic pricing.  It was about what I figured it would be. THEN: She says, "That's an expensive place. Like the kind of store Grandpa would shop at." (My grandparents are more well off than we.)  Continuing, "Mike was looking at a suit in there, and they wanted $1200 for it."  I, of course, ask the brand/cut/color of said suit.  "Oh, just a regular grey suit; European, though.  Callina, or something like that."  "Canali?", says I.  She says, "Yes, that's it.  Can you believe that?" So I tell her about A Collection of Sartorial Excellence, the SF, and a few things I've learned here so far.  She has now come to the conclusion that it's a good thing I'm going to medical school; otherwise, the lot of you may be a bad influence on me  [​IMG] My fiance, on the other hand, wanted to take a picture of what I was wearing on Saturday for the forum, and will thank you all 'till the end of time.  [​IMG] That is all.

2. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I get similar statements from my mother (and I'm probably a decade older than you.). I try to smile and keep my mouth shut.

3. marc37

marc37 Senior Member

l like your avator Alan C. A good lookin' frog indeed. [​IMG] l still reckon my avator is the best though. [​IMG]

4. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Distinguished Member

Yes, my Mom, too, had this sad habit of wearing Kabbaz blouses with Walmart pantsuits.