1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A Fine Pair of Shoes x Alfred Sargent MTO Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SuitedDx, May 18, 2012.

1. Harrydog

Harrydog Senior member

Fed Ex called. The Miller boot will be delivered before 10:30 AM tomorrow! :bounce2:

2. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

It's rather like the end of an epic, isn't it?

3. Saratorial_Splender

Saratorial_Splender Senior member

Theses were supposed to be MTO made to handgrade level in shell cordovan. The only difference is the beveled waist. Paid close to $1,000 for them.

4. Harrydog

Harrydog Senior member

We did varying widths on the Miller boot.

5. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

No, they were supposed to be handgrade style at exclusive level.

6. Harrydog

Harrydog Senior member

This sounds exactly right to me. AS is taking a style normally made only in handgrade and making up the shoe to exclusive standards on an exclusive last.

7. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

+1 It is tricky trying to differentiate I think when it comes to shell since the distributor (Horween) and material is the same. From my understanding of the MTO/HG, the last (19, 48, & 53 are only for MTO/HG with some exceptions), [calf] uppers, burnishing (if requested), fiddleback waist, bevelled edge, sole dressing, and packaging are better compared to the Exclusive range (of course the 'MTO' piece is default when it comes to design/color/etc.).

I personally do not get too hyped up on the soles so the Exclusive level works perfectly for me. Very happy with the whiskey Ramseys and I look forward to receiving the Cognac Millers. NYC is supposed to be sunny so maybe I can wear them on the walk home! Nothing breaks shoes/boots in better than a 2.5K walk :slayer:

8. Saratorial_Splender

Thank zippyh. This helps make my point even more.

9. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

I don't suppose anyone would be interested in the Handgrade Carroll loafer with medallion and no tassels... in midnight blue burnished calf or Oxblood...made to Exclusive specs. If so great, otherwise I will most probably have to go the Handgrade option.

10. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

my miillers should be delivered tomorrow :slayer:

I wont get to see them tomorrow evening though :embar:

11. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

I would do the blake in a reddish suede. I think that would look pretty fucking sick. And im not talking snuff suede, think more red

Or doing a textured leather, like pebble grain in a tan/chestnut :slayer:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  12. grunberg

grunberg Senior member

That MTO in cordovan you mean? What last was it? I heard that they don't have any last in G width

13. Saratorial_Splender

They do. My Benson was in G width.

14. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

It depends on the last offerings. HG lasts have G, but some other lasts (e.g., 99) do not have G.

15. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

Got my Millers!
    Had a quick look at them over lunch, beautiful boot, the shell needs some elbow grease, but overall finishing is nice.
    Disappointed with the 3 piece boot tree as it doesn't fill the vamp or heel well. Certainly not fitted to the last, nor worth the significant added price. They could learn a thing or 2 from Vass trees.

Regards.

16. LS7

LS7 Senior member

Quite the opposite from my perspective. The boot tree seems a little too large - it's a devil to remove from the right boot, even after unlacing it all the way. Perhaps I just need a little more practice with these three piece trees.

17. Saratorial_Splender

Agree. Mine (one piece) does not fill the vamp as well.

18. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

^AS doesn't actually make their own boot trees. These were commissioned directly by AFPOS iirc (a generous project imo). I wish AS made lasted boot trees. The lasted shoe trees I have from them fit perfectly.

Doesn't it go against your point? The fair comparison to G&G would be AS handgrades, not exclusives.

I too am not a big fan of fiddleback waists, notched heels, or fancy packaging. But handgrades do have a couple other advantages like bed lasting and leather heel and toe puffs, iirc.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  19. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Funny you mention this because my Vass trees fit well with exception to the vamp-don't fill out the shoe.

Where are the pics?!?

20. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

Will try and get pics tonight. I had high hopes for the trees, love the old EG lasted trees. Its one of those things I enjoy. :slayer:

Regards.