A Fine Pair Of Shoes: Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by A Fine Pair Of Shoes, Mar 28, 2011.

1. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

The Exclusive collection is absolutely stunning. May I ask what the difference between the AS Cambridge and the Culford is? I'm a proud owner of the latter, and they are superb.

2. Afinepairofshoes

Afinepairofshoes Senior member

Your AS Culford are beautiful boots, without doubt. The AS Cambridge have been put onto the 87 last from the 89 last that the Culfords are on. The pull tags are now leather and embossed with the AS logo sewn into the rear seam on the AS Cambridge - so subtle changes to an already great boot.

3. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Thanks for the reply, I've been wondering this for a while. They are absolutely fabolous; the most comfortable pair of boots I own.

4. Sreezy36

Sreezy36 Active Member

Greetings....Firstly, I wanted to express how awesome it is to see you active on this forum. Secondly, I wish to purchase both the Sanders Jack Derby Shoe (Navy) and the Alfred Sargent Windsor Tassel Loafer (Black)... I normally wear a size 13D in most shoes. However, I was told to size down a full size in Sanders/McNairy Derby shoes...In addition, I have tried on other derby shoes and they tend to run a bit large allowing a size 12 US to fit me reasonably well..With this, I am wondering if I will be okay if ordering size 11uk in Sanders Derby shoe?....Likewise, in regards to the Alfred Sargent Windsor, will I be okay with the E Width size 12uk in the tassel loafer (normally wear size 13 US D width). I see in the description that you state the E width tends run a bit narrow. However, on other sites (such as pediwear) the E width in the tassel loafer seems to be pretty standard as opposed to an exceptionally narrow width. Please feel free to contact me at any time, and I definitely look forward to purchasing items from your store in the near future.

5. Swede66

Swede66 Senior member

So, replying to my own question of some weeks ago.
    I pulled the trigger on the AS Exclusive Armfield, last 109, in black calf. At the same time I ordered a pair C&J Belgrave in chestnut from another retailer. So, having two pairs of brand new shoes next to each others, I obviously should take the opportunitiy to post a "finnishing" comparison. I do own a couple of C&J's on the 337 last since before so I know that they age well; with the A&S time will tell. The 109 last fit me almost as well as the 337; it does feel just as good, but with a fairly high instep the "closing gap" is slightly wider than on the C&J's. Not at all to the extent that it is un-appealing, but slightly wider.

Sole; waist more elegant on AS, finnishing of sole, especially edges, is nicer on AS aswell. Hands down won by AS

Upper; both look very nice, but the leather on the C&J's appear slightly softer and the finnishing is a notch above the AS shoe. Winner C&J

Inside; a nice touch on the AS is the small "window pane" with the model name and size are hand written. Both are lined with a very nice and supple leather but the in-sole is fully lined on the C&J and half lined on the AS. More or less a draw with a slight edge for C&J.

So, overall conclusion. If they were at the same price point, I would rate C&J handgrade as the winner, if not by much. However, they were not at the same price point. C&J was £440 + delivery £30, while AS was £375 with free delivery. So £95 ($150) in favour of AS Exclusive.

So, considering price difference I'd rate them roughly on par in terms of value for money, with a slight edge for the AS Exclusive.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  6. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

Well done. Thanks.

7. Swede66

Swede66 Senior member

By the way - forgot to say that the service and promptness from AFPoS was absolutely excellent. Thanx!

8. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Alfred Sargent Exclusive Grade, Model Pimlico, Chestnut Calf.

Shouts out to 'A Fine Pair of Shoes' for great customer service.

9. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Can anyone comment on the new Ducker and Sons shoes?

10. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

I ordered a pair (suede loafer) for a friend's birthday. They arrived last week. They look really good for the money. That's all I know so far.

11. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

Looking at the soles they are made by Loake, probably same level of 1880 shoes.

12. Afinepairofshoes

Thank you Swede66 - really enjoyed your comparison and really glad you are happy with our service we have offered you.

Hope you enjoy wearing in your AS Armfields!!

13. Afinepairofshoes

Thank you Gdot!!

14. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Great shoes! Wish I could wear the 106 last but it is too sleek.

Been thinking of the Moore but torn between the Cherry and Oxblood. Anyone have both colors and can post shoes side-by-side for comparison? Thanks!

15. Afinepairofshoes

Here are some photos for you

[​IMG]

[​IMG]\

[​IMG]

[​IMG]