1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A few shoe questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by demeis, Dec 9, 2004.

1. esquire.

esquire. Senior member

I don't need to worry about snow or rain really.

I'll admit that I don't even wax my shoes enough it seems. Somebody told me that waxing too much was even worse than not waxing enough, so it seems I haven't been waxing the shoes enough. And, I'm a lazy slob.

2. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

I understand the lazy slob theory when it comes to shining my shoes, that is why we have an in-store shine man, makes sense huh?

3. leroy

leroy Active Member

I used to polish my shoes with kiwi wax. Then there was this once when my leather on the shoes started to crack. I found out that the wax had built up until the surface of the leather hardens and cracks eventually.

I have switched to cream from then and very satisfied with the result for years. My dress shoes had lasted up to 15 years. Weekly burshing with a good horse hair brush + buffing it with a light coat of the cream has made it lasting.

Even though one may be lazy, but at least once a fornight of shoe maintenance can really make a difference in the shoe's appearance and longevity. No point having a nice luxury shoe with unkept appearance...

4. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

I find it so hard to understand why anyone would doubt the techniques I recommend. When a biuild up occurs, just as you would if the shoe were dirty, you strip and clean...you would not just continullay put body lotion on your skin to protect it without cleaning it as well....leather is SKIN, just like a human, only tanned...listen or don't, but believe me in this...I would not tell a lawyer how to fight a case, and I definitely would not tell a doctor how to operate, but, after spending the entire adult working life in the shoes biz, oh, and I am 42, I do know one thing, leather.

5. leroy

leroy Active Member

Please do not find it hard becoz I think there is nobody who is doubting what you are recommending. I am just stating my own experience and having fine results with it. I acknowledge your vast experience in shoes. Thanks.

6. Horace

Horace Senior member

...The pricing of the Grensons is great but they are all D width which doesn't really surprise me but I need a B-C.
    No, there are B's and C's, maybe you jumped in at the wrong time, and there are still some left depending upon your size.
    Actually, I've seen many a B or C in the larger sizes of Grensons. Unfortunate for me, perhaps good for you.

7. Horace

Horace Senior member

Certainly sound counsel. I might even extend that to wear them only once a week (and either wear another pair (or 6) or go barefoot).