• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A few shoe questions - finding new ones and care for old ones

SKooT1027

Reaction score
I have searched around the forum a bit, but it seems shoe is a pretty common keyword.

I have 1 good pair of shoes - Black AE Park Ave's. Ive had them for about a year, and wear them like 2-3 times per week. My brown shoes are really more of a fancy sneaker and are beyond warn out. I went to syms to look around, but they didn't have anything that stood out (it's where i got my AE's last time).

Basically, I need at least 1 more pair of shoes in brown so I can cycle bw the black and brown for work. I can wear sneakers on Fridays, so each would get warn twice per week until I get some more. I like my AE's, but want to try on a few more brands. Two questions - Where locally is a good place to try on shoes (I'm in Fairfield, CT) and where do you guys get some of these thrifty priced items? I refuse to pay retail unless it's really something amazing. We don't have a Nordstrom here. I was thinking of looking at Saks and off 5 over the weekend. I'm nothing looking for anything too hard to care for, just a good daily shoe. I'm usually in it for ~12 hours per day. I don't know my size, so I cannot order online yet. I should get measured I guess.

Also, my AE's are wearing. There are some light scuff marks, and some marks to the sole. What kind of basic cleaner/polisher should I be looking for? Also, do you clean the interior? I think from wearing them so much they can start to smell a bit at times. I'm going to get some cedar inserts this weekend too.

As for style, I'm a young guy - 23. My streetwear is probably best described as country club-esque. I don't like boring old man styles. Work I'm kind of the same way. I have the basic safe clothes (simple slacks, solid white or blue shirts) but also recently got a patterned pair of pants and have plenty of bright shirts. I prefer the latter. I wear a mix of slacks and khakis, but plan to phase the khakis out - I need to get more slacks this weekend. I work at a hedge fund, so most people wear pretty high end clothing.

Thanks in advance, and I plan to keep reading the forum as much as I can during the days, but wanted some specific advice as well.

Franky In T.O.

Reaction score
First, I was surprised reading through your post to find that you're 23. Sounds like you're at the start of your career and want to dress well and make the right decisions. Good for you.

Originally Posted by SKooT1027
Also, my AE's are wearing. There are some light scuff marks, and some marks to the sole. What kind of basic cleaner/polisher should I be looking for? Also, do you clean the interior? I think from wearing them so much they can start to smell a bit at times. I'm going to get some cedar inserts this weekend too.

Can't help you with where to buy shoes in Fairfax, CT since I'm in Canada, but I can tell you that by the sounds of it anyway, your shoes are still in very good condition after about a year. Cedar shoe trees will take care of the interior and you're already planning to buy some. Advice: buy more than you need now so that you have them before you buy new shoes. You might think you can wait until after you buy new shoes, but the truth is we all have lives and can't always get to it right away. As for basic cleaner/polisher, there is tons of info on this board so I will let you do research. You'll be fine with Melatonian or Kiwi creams or wax which are found at many shoe repair shops, drug and grocery stores. Get yourself both brushes twice - one for black and one for brown. But upon doing more research on shoe care you may find yourself looking into other products. That's up to you and your needs.

SKooT1027

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Franky In T.O.
First, I was surprised reading through your post to find that you're 23. Sounds like you're at the start of your career and want to dress well and make the right decisions. Good for you.

Can't help you with where to buy shoes in Fairfax, CT since I'm in Canada, but I can tell you that by the sounds of it anyway, your shoes are still in very good condition after about a year. Cedar shoe trees will take care of the interior and you're already planning to buy some. Advice: buy more than you need now so that you have them before you buy new shoes. You might think you can wait until after you buy new shoes, but the truth is we all have lives and can't always get to it right away. As for basic cleaner/polisher, there is tons of info on this board so I will let you do research. You'll be fine with Melatonian or Kiwi creams or wax which are found at many shoe repair shops, drug and grocery stores. Get yourself both brushes twice - one for black and one for brown. But upon doing more research on shoe care you may find yourself looking into other products. That's up to you and your needs.

Thanks for the advice. Ill start searching for the cleaners. There's a lot to read and I hadn't made it there yet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads