• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A few quick Jantzen questions if you don't mind.

cmrocks

Reaction score
I want to order myself a couple of shirts to wear casually. I'm in university so they will be worn mostly with shorts or jeans, untucked with the sleeves rolled up. I just like the look and feel of shirts over tshirts.

My main question is about fabric. I want the lightest weight and softest fabric. I don't like my shirts to look stiff. Should I be looking at French Oxford, Oxford, Plain Cotton or Cotton Twill? Also, is a 120 a lighter weight fabric than a 100? I like the look of some of the fabrics that are listed as Cotton Twill, 2 plys, 120s. Is this a nice light weight fabric or should I be looking at something else?

Which collar style should I be looking at? I like soft, kind of floppy collars. I also don't like the collar to be extremely tall. I like to wear my shirts underneath sweaters and I find a really tall collar looks kind of odd.

Will Jantzen make a shirt with a square hem? I didn't see that option on their order form but I'm assuming they wouldn't have any problems with it. Does anyone know for sure?

I want my shirts to end right around my belt line. I'm also going to have a reputable tailor in town take my measurements. Should I just bring in a few pairs of pants and explain to him how I want my shirts to fit and let him take the measurement accordingly?

Thanks a lot.

Jolly Green

Reaction score
Sea Island Cotton. Very light weight...sheer even, and very soft when you purchace it. There have been mixed results around here after laundering. Seems some peoples fabric have "hardened." I've washed mine several times and the fabric is still rather nice. Your results may vary.

Collar style and size depends on your face. Of course if you are not going to wear it with a tie, it probably doesn't matter too much. I guess you should find a shirt that you like and match it as closely as possible to one in of the options. Measure your collar and tell him what size you want.

Square hem. I'm sure he will.

Cheers,
D

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought square hem was an option, it's not? I'd take the regular hem over the square anyway, it's not cut very deep. I ordered my tester shirt short, hoping to wear it untucked, and it looks great that way. Just get the self-colored gusset.

I respectfully disagree with the sea island cotton recommendation. I have one, and not only do I dislike it, but it strikes me as dress shirt fabric, as opposed to casual. It wrinkles excessively too.

Get the softest collar, and go without stays.

Regarding length, better than measuring the length on your body, just measure a shirt that you like.

gza

Reaction score
Some of the fabric names state "Soft Cotton." You may want to try one of those.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads