• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A few questions: Socks, shoes, and color

Prince Panda

Reaction score
Hey guys, a few questions.

I can match my socks to my trousers when I'm wearing formal clothes, but what do I do when I wear casual clothes like khakis or jeans with black sneakers? I basically only have black/brown socks. Should I get some other color?

Also, currently I wear Sambas as my shoes, but I saw this interesting pair of Nike sneakers. They are white cross-training shoes with the checkmark in red. Do you think it's appropriate to wear outside the gym?

Finally, what colors would be most becoming in your opinion? I have tanned skin (yellowish tint), black hair, and brown eyes.

Thanks for all your help!

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
but what do I do when I wear casual clothes like khakis or jeans with black sneakers?
I don`t know if BLACK sneakers with khakis or jeans is a good start.

Plasdom

Reaction score
I always match my socks to my shoes ::shrug::

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My suggestion is to not think about it so much. Sometimes I wear gym socks with sneakers, sometimes I wear argyles. I just put on whatever socks I am in the mood for, almost regardless of the rest of my outfit (within reason, I don't wear gym socks with suits). Sometimes I like bright socks, sometimes a simple charcoal cashmere. Just go with the flow, man.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try to restrict white athletic sneakers to athletic activities.

Black sneakers with jeans doesn't sound great and with khakis doesn't sound good (especially khakis in a light shade). If you're going to do it anyway, try socks in ribbed medium- or dark-blue (or gray).

Your complexion sounds like most color choices would be good on you. A mostly yellow shirt or tie probably is the only risky mainstream color.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads