• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A few questions from a newbie

sarcasticfolly

Reaction score
Hi,

So, I have in the past few years gotten more interested in classic dress wear, etc. I am getting married in August and am currently in India, and have had a suit 130s wool made here, which I think will come out very nice. I am, however, lost when it comes to ties/pocket squares, belts, and to a certain extent, shoes.

I have been looking at shoes like Crockett & Jones which people on here seem to think highly of, and since I am in London when I return from India until June, I thought I could go to the factory store in Northampton. My question is, how much of a savings can I expect purchasing a pair of "seconds"at a place like the C&J factory store? For people that have purchased "seconds" from there, what price point am I looking at?

So, then, ties and belts. What are some good brands without insane price tags? I know very little about these 2 and would like some input, my suit for the wedding is chocolate brown pinstripe, but any general brand info is great too, where to get deals, etc.

Thanks!
Ben

cbird

Reaction score
Many shoe companies also make belts. I think cost and quality would be similar to what they offer in their shoes. Good values would probably be from Allen Edmonds and Alden in the US. You might find good deals on the belts from the factory stores you're going to visit in the UK as well.
Good values in quality ties could be had at Brooks Brothers.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sarcasticfolly
Hi,

I have been looking at shoes like Crockett & Jones which people on here seem to think highly of, and since I am in London when I return from India until June, I thought I could go to the factory store in Northampton. My question is, how much of a savings can I expect purchasing a pair of "seconds"at a place like the C&J factory store? For people that have purchased "seconds" from there, what price point am I looking at?

The seconds are around 150 pounds, and over 200 for handgrade. It's a discount approaching 50%. The selection may be limited.

sarcasticfolly

Reaction score
Finally, does anyone have the info for the Crockett & Jones Factory Shop (address, hours, phone), and any other nearby ones (Loake, Tricker's, etc?) in Northampton for that matter? Also, does anyone have directions from the Northampton train station to the factory store for C&J, etc?

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I seem to remember a detailed factory store visit report thread, with photos.

it might not have been C&J, but did you do a search?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics