• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Few Leads For Anyone Else Seeking a Nice Wallet

Jerry52

Reaction score
A bunch of you have helped me in my quest for wallets, shoes, watches, and good dealers for these, for which I'm grateful.

Today I devoted some free time to the wallet caper and thought I'd try to return the favor by including three promising websites for wallets. Now be advised that I've never bought from any of these, but they have some nice choices, The first two each have bunches.

Because I'm a bit "low tech" and can't figure out how to transfer more than one link at a time with my mouse, I'll have to post two more entries, sorry.

Actually the place that blew me away was EBAY! Literally THOUSANDS of listings, not all of them very special of course. But I saw some neat wallets by Gucci and Prada for example. Has anybody owned a wallet from either or seen them in person? Worth the money? Of course "the money" on EBAY is often considerably less than retail, so I wonder if the EBAY listings can be trusted?

Here's the first of three links I promised. I hope someone benefits...

http://www.walletshoppe.com/mens1.html

Jerry

CoryB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jerry52
But I saw some neat wallets by Gucci and Prada for example. Has anybody owned a wallet from either or seen them in person? Worth the money? Of course "the money" on EBAY is often considerably less than retail, so I wonder if the EBAY listings can be trusted?[/url]

They are cheap 'cause they are fake. If an eBay item is a very well known designer name, ex. LV or Gucci, it can be safely assumed to be fake. This would be especially true with an item such as a wallet, which I would assume is amongst the most easy item to counterfeit.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have come to prefer front pocket wallets. Here is a really nice one that was custom made for a Houston Music Personality:

dustyhillwallet3iw7.jpg

dustyhillwallet4el4.jpg

I like this style.

Jerry52

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CoryB
They are cheap 'cause they are fake. If an eBay item is a very well known designer name, ex. LV or Gucci, it can be safely assumed to be fake. This would be especially true with an item such as a wallet, which I would assume is amongst the most easy item to counterfeit.

I wonder if in some cases they could be authentic but factory "seconds?" Depending on the flaw, that could still be acceptable.

Here's a theoretical question: Let's say that a $75 "Gucci" wallet on EBAY IS a fake. I wonder how a "fake" $75 Gucci might compare to a "legitimate" $75 wallet of another brand bought at a department store??? In other words, if one can get past the humiliation that it is "fake" might it still at least compare favorably to other $75 "legitimate" wallets?

Jerry52

Reaction score
Nice wallet for someone seeking that style. But "custom made for a celebrity" probably means megabucks!

Jerry52

Reaction score
Among the upscale department stores, the best wallet selection I've found by far:

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...t000526&cmCat=

Someone please post here if there's a quality department store with more!

Also, if you like any of these, I guess you'd better order by mail or online because the stores carry different stock, so I'm told.

CoryB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jerry52
I wonder if in some cases they could be authentic but factory "seconds?" Depending on the flaw, that could still be acceptable.

Here's a theoretical question: Let's say that a $75 "Gucci" wallet on EBAY IS a fake. I wonder how a "fake" $75 Gucci might compare to a "legitimate" $75 wallet of another brand bought at a department store??? In other words, if one can get past the humiliation that it is "fake" might it still at least compare favorably to other $75 "legitimate" wallets?

I can't speak from experience, but I would highly doubt that a fake Gucci wallet is of equivilant quality as a no-name, but similarly priced wallet. A counterfiet is not high quality; the best that can be hoped is the from the outside it is well-made. Often I see "Burberry" purses that lack even an attempt at pattern matching. I can determine it to be a knockoff at 25ft. Moreover, I would suspect that when hitting the $100~ mark with wallets, it is likely that a no-name brand is better quality than a actual Gucci wallet even though its retail is upwards of $300.

Almighty1

Reaction score
Speaking about upscale department stores, how are the quality of Cartier wallets that Sak's Fifth Avenue sells? Are they even comparable in quality to Louis Vuitton?

arutha

Reaction score
I had a fake LV wallet that held up fairly well, but I got tired of it after a while, especially after realizing that fake LV stuff seems to grow on trees these days. Some of the fakes are actually fairly well made, if you're willing to accept that many have cardboard lining and the leather won't hold up nearly as well as the real thing.

I picked up this vintage genuine Cartier wallet a while back. I've never been happier with a wallet. I own several Cartier items, and they're all quite good. I reconditioned it a little after buying it, and it's served me very well so far. Coin pockets are a must!

PICT1706.jpg

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a sweet watch!

Originally Posted by arutha
I had a fake LV wallet that held up fairly well, but I got tired of it after a while, especially after realizing that fake LV stuff seems to grow on trees these days. Some of the fakes are actually fairly well made, if you're willing to accept that many have cardboard lining and the leather won't hold up nearly as well as the real thing.

I picked up this vintage genuine Cartier wallet a while back. I've never been happier with a wallet. I own several Cartier items, and they're all quite good. I reconditioned it a little after buying it, and it's served me very well so far. Coin pockets are a must!

PICT1706.jpg

P3R3

Reaction score
This is my wallet
biggrin.gif

Yes it is real, purchased from Saks 5th
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads