• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A few dress questions. .

nastyandy

Reaction score
I am attending a party on New Years and the dress requirement is "dress to impress." What exactly does that mean? Can I wear a tux, or should I just wear a suit?

Also, is it acceptable (in general) to wear a tux jacket with non-tux trousers? Could it be worn with pinstripe slacks?

Thanks in advance.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nastyandy
I am attending a party on New Years and the dress requirement is "dress to impress." What exactly does that mean? Can I wear a tux, or should I just wear a suit?

It means you should dress to impress! Ok, I have no idea of what it means. It seems geared more to women than to men. Just call some people who are going and ask them what it means.

Also, is it acceptable (in general) to wear a tux jacket with non-tux trousers? Could it be worn with pinstripe slacks?

Not really. But who knows what the rules are with a dress to impress code.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
It probably means the hosts don't want folks turning up in jeans and tshirts so they're being diplomatic about asking you to dress nicer. I'd just go with a suit, shirt, tie...no tux. The last time I was at an event that mentioned "dress to impress", half the guys still turned out in jeans

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a suit with tie or no tie works. A tux in a home environment where no one else is wearing one would make me feel a little (or a lot) over dressed, especially if it's a laid back gathering. I, however, have no qualms about being the only guy in a suit.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think New Year's Eve is the one night of the year that a guy can be the only one in a tux and not be overdressed. Who knows...you might just be wearing it for irony?
laugh.gif

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No clue on the "dress to impress" code, but please do not wear a dinner jacket with anything other than dinner suit trousers. This always looks bad. And it sounds like you shouldn't be wearing a dinner jacket to this event to begin with.

guynamedsean

Reaction score
I would not wear a tux unless it said "black tie" or "formal wear".

If you are the only one wearing a tux, then someone might ask you to park their car or get them a drink.

On New Years I will be wearing my burgandy, velvet, Polo Ralph Lauren smoking jacket. Wear something fun. Its New Years!

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have a dinner suit, wear it for this party.
Those without will simply not impress as well.

Use a hired car, don't fool with the car parkers.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by guynamedsean
I would not wear a tux unless it said "black tie" or "formal wear".

If you are the only one wearing a tux, then someone might ask you to park their car or get them a drink.

On New Years I will be wearing my burgandy, velvet, Polo Ralph Lauren smoking jacket. Wear something fun. Its New Years!

Tom22 over at Devil's Island just posted this with regard to the difference between black tie and formal.

Originally Posted by tom22
I know this is my personal hobby horse, but if you receive a social invitation that says: Formal attire: It means a dark suit. This is what it means. I swear. i am an old man now but this is what it meant in the 1960s. Black tie said black tie, white tie said white tie. Formal meant a dark suit. I know books have said something else, but I swear, I swear this is true. please, please stop doing this. I will shoot myself, actually I have already shot myself. These are my dying words: Formal on a social invitation means just a dark suit.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Tom22 over at Devil's Island just posted this with regard to the difference between black tie and formal.

"Been wrong so long,
But get right tonight."

Wear the well fitted Dinner Suit if you want to "dress to impress."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads