• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A few basic questions from a newbie willing to learn

Miles

Reaction score
Everyone here has been giving you pretty good advice, so let me just add this one note:

Originally Posted by T0t
For starters, I had no idea you were supposed to wear jeans for 5-6 months before washing them in order to get decent results. I feel really stupid now seeing as how all of my jeans have been washed multiple times, they've also been put in the dryer a few times (I wanted them to shrink).

First off, you're not stupid. You're supposed to wash most jeans. And while air drying is definitely better than the dryer, you're not foolish for using one.

The jeans that are typically discussed around these parts are raw, unwashed jeans. These are undistressed upon purchase, and stiff as all **** too.

The distressing process is done by the wearer, and while there is some dissention amongst the ranks, most will agree that the best looking distressing on raw denim (e.g., fades, honeycombs, and other terms you'll come to recognize should you stick around these parts) is accomplished through lots of wear, and very little washing.

Ultimately, you could quite easily argue that we're the idiots for going months between washes, all in the name of fashion. It really does produce an offensive smell. Don't be so hard on yourself.

T0t

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Miles
Everyone here has been giving you pretty good advice, so let me just add this one note:

First off, you're not stupid. You're supposed to wash most jeans. And while air drying is definitely better than the dryer, you're not foolish for using one.

The jeans that are typically discussed around these parts are raw, unwashed jeans. These are undistressed upon purchase, and stiff as all **** too.

The distressing process is done by the wearer, and while there is some dissention amongst the ranks, most will agree that the best looking distressing on raw denim (e.g., fades, honeycombs, and other terms you'll come to recognize should you stick around these parts) is accomplished through lots of wear, and very little washing.

Ultimately, you could quite easily argue that we're the idiots for going months between washes, all in the name of fashion. It really does produce an offensive smell. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Thanks for replying man. As far as the fades, honeybombs, etc. Is it too far to get those "effects" now that the jeans have been washed? Or will it be possible to achieve these effects once I put starch on my jeans?

As far as the smell goes, couldn't one just spray a bit of cologne on them?

Etz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by T0t
Thanks for replying man. As far as the fades, honeybombs, etc. Is it too far to get those "effects" now that the jeans have been washed? Or will it be possible to achieve these effects once I put starch on my jeans?

As far as the smell goes, couldn't one just spray a bit of cologne on them?

Yes, it is too late to get the "effects" because your jeans have lost most of their color. If anything, you might be able to work in some ripping if you wore then hard enough and, of course, if you desire rips.

As for smell, cologne might not be the best option since you'd be wasting perfectly good cologne on your jeans. You can use febreeze to get rid of smells if you're not ready to wash your jeans.

Just out of curiosity, what is your waist/inseam size, if you don't mind me asking?

prima

Reaction score
trying to mask an odor by overwhelming it with cologne is never a good strategy

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The leftover cologne, especially if it was a cheaper one, might mix with the bacteria and turn rank as well.

If it really reeks, just do a quick 5 min cold soak.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads