• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A fat guy with a date: need help with style, fit, choices!

politoskim

Reaction score
unfortunately, the general consensus is that it is just difficult to find nicer clothes for bigger people, relatively speaking, simply because the designers seem to disregard this side of the spectrum. not sure if you're into the hypebeast-like brands such as obey, supreme, the hundreds, etc. but i've noticed that their stuff can run up to bigger sizes. check out their outer-wear and button ups, i think you'd be pleasantly suprised.

CallMeCoach

Reaction score
Awesome info, fellas!! Much appreciated!

Originally Posted by aphextwin07
crushing on her, huh?

Hehe - good one. And yes.

Peter1 I agree. A decent quality (no mall brands) thin striped shirt under a blazer would look great. (on anyone).
Okay, so a Thomas Pink shirt, with a blazer. Black Blazer I'm assuming? I have a Charcoal blazer from Buckel, but you guys probably hate that.

I'd look into a good quality tailored blazer. If you dropped, say, $600 including tailoring to shorten sleeves etc., you'd have something you'll have for a long time and can wear in any situation. Since you probably don't have easy access to lots of good stores, I'd go for Brooks Brothers' Web site.

This is available in up to a 48 (you may be bigger), but is an example of something that might work for you. :

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

Pair that with a pair of medium-wash jeans (no gimmicks, please)
Def going to look into a tailor. The searching for crap, but crap I don't like, then never wearing it is for the birds.

I'll check out BB

Medium Wash is better than light wash? I always liked the light wash because my upper body is bigger than my lower, and the darker the jean the more out of proportion my body looks. Know what I mean?

SirGrotius
Black is too obvious man. Try more blues, like this:

http://www.us.thomaspink.com/fcp/pr...ing-Stripe-Men's-Shirt---Button-Cuff/99913604

The Thomas Pink traveller collection might be good, because it has a good silhouette, isn't too form fitting, and resists wrinkles which can be helpful if you've got a lot of real estate. For me it fits baggy. I don't know if size 19 is enough?
Yeah man, that's what I was thinking about the black. Kind of obvious i'm trying to look more slim. The shirt you have here is a light blue, shouldn't I go darker?

wEstSidE
polo makes sizes up to 42 i think. they definitely also have a b&t line.

if you're going on a date i would recommend really thinking about how much this girl is worth to you. if you want to make a good first impression don't spare any expense.
I'm with you there, man. I'm down to drop some coin - tired of being disappointed in my attire. She's worth it, too
smile.gif

notwithit To the OP, Cotton Works and Modern Tailor are both made-to-measure shirt makers, and both are forum affiliates. You can link to their web sites from the Men's Clothing sub-forum. Neither is particularly expensive, and they have a variety of colors and patters (just maybe stay away from big patterns and bright colors).

Shepler's has Levi's 501s going up to a 42 waist (http://www.sheplers.com/levis-jeans-...k-to-fit.html). Dark denim will probably be more flattering than the light-wash jeans you posted.
That's what I'm talking about! Cotton Works and Modern Tailor will most def be checked out.

And aren't 501's slim fitting nut huggers? I wear a 40 waist, so the size will be fine as long as it's not some Vintage fit/Slim fit garbage the designers make for you skinny guys, while trying to sound appealing to the customer when they just wanna save cash on material by using less. (Okay, maybe i'm ranting now haha).

Derek S since this hasnt been answered yet...yea, no matter the size, a tailor is ALWAYS an option. No body is made the same, yet OTR shirts/pants are. A tailor fixes this. Definitely worth the money.

Welcome here...your sense of humor will help hahahaha
Thanks for the answer, finally. Just wasn't sure if Tailors did the casual stuff, too.

If a tailor made me look sharp, thinner, more comfortable, and trendy/fashionable, whilst making me feel confident, well that my friends is worth it's weight in gold!

CallMeCoach

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prada_Ferragamo
How do you have large thighs but thin calves? How much do you weigh?
Are you serious, man? IDK how, I didn't create my DNA. I just have smaller cavs in proportion to thighs. re:God on the how/why. And I'm not gonna go weigh myself for you. What the heck does it matter if i'm 125lbs, or 250lbs if my size is the same? I wear a 50 long Jacket. 40x32 jean XXL t-shirt 18-18 1/2T collared shirts Is that good enough for ya, brohem?

imhotep

Reaction score
Is it possible for you to get down to a 38 waist? You will have lots of selection at that point. here are some jeans i found in size 40x32: http://cgi.ebay.com/325-Ralph-Lauren...#ht_3074wt_932 RRL gets plenty of love on these boards. Also, shoes are one area where your can do well. Try having a look on www.yoox.com perhaps get advice here regarding which shoes/boots would look good with the style of jeans you will wear, and then use a tailor to solve the shirt & blazer problem.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a fat friend and he wouldn't be caught dead in jeans. I think this is the right move.

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So many /facepalms in this thread.

@CallMeCoach - It looks like you have some solid advice and a good direction to start in. Good luck with the date, and the new threads.

everybodynobody

Reaction score
Sydney Greenstreet was pretty stylish for a fat man.

maltesefalcon117.jpeg

greenstreet+2.jpg

Can't argue with this. A tailored suit, pocket watch, and a fez and you're all set.

chroMe

Reaction score
Snappy dresser: don't forget Churchill (the former prime minister not the insurance dog advert).

Buy a compression vest and you can hide the love handles.

Check out the brand Cavi - larger shirt sizes. Go for an ace watch, shoes & hair and rest can take care of itself, usually.

http://www.cavinyc.com/shop/P949336/product.html

CallMeCoach

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imhotep
Is it possible for you to get down to a 38 waist? You will have lots of selection at that point. here are some jeans i found in size 40x32: http://cgi.ebay.com/325-Ralph-Lauren...#ht_3074wt_932 RRL gets plenty of love on these boards. Also, shoes are one area where your can do well. Try having a look on www.yoox.com perhaps get advice here regarding which shoes/boots would look good with the style of jeans you will wear, and then use a tailor to solve the shirt & blazer problem.
Solid advice, sir! I think a tailor could do the trick with the shirts, for sure. That may be my move this Saturday - hit up a tailor for a couple of shirts. Those jeans look great! I just wonder how they fit? I'm a little leary of buying without some customer reviews on the fit of the jeans. Is the darker look of jeans better? I tend to go with lighter colored jeans because of my upper body being bigger than my lower body. And, what kind of shoes or boots? When you say boots, can you give me an example? And, are CK slip on black dress shoes something that would work with the jeans you sent a link for?

CallMeCoach

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chroMe
Snappy dresser: don't forget Churchill (the former prime minister not the insurance dog advert). Buy a compression vest and you can hide the love handles. Check out the brand Cavi - larger shirt sizes. Go for an ace watch, shoes & hair and rest can take care of itself, usually. http://www.cavinyc.com/shop/P949336/product.html
Were you suggesting that shirt specifically? I saw some of Cavi's other stuff -- I like what I see. Also, here is the watch I have now. Got it about 10 months ago in the Midwest @ a Fossil store. What do you think? http://watchrate.org/watches/image.a...undcolor=white

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want some good jeans in that size look into Jean Shop. I used to be an almost 42" waist a couple years ago and a pair of Jean Shop Rockers were my first pair of good jeans. Size 39" actually measured to about a 41" waist and they were great jeans. I'm down to a 33" waist now but still like those Rockers and may pick up another pair one of these days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads