A Fascist Dandy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LabelKing, Mar 22, 2006.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] When D'Annunzio was in school he excelled in cultural subjects, and failed mathematics, a veritable paradox. He had an aesthete's personality yet when God was brought up his teacher remarked: 'when God is mentioned, D´Annunzio bursts out laughing and says that he does not want to believe in a supreme being who could create man only to see him suffer.' He was passionate about interior decorating, militant politics, sex, and decadence. He rather reminds me of Yukio Mishima who cited his favorite author as Thomas Mann.

2. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

And he practically invented the symbols of Fascism:

A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE PAST TWO HUNDRED YEARS
    by Raymond F.Betts

3. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

The actual salute of D'Annunzio's Legion of Ronchi was "Eia, Eia, Alala!", which D'Annunzio claimed was the war cry with which Achilles had driven his horses Xanthos and Balios into battle.

"Oh Xanthus, why dost thou prophecy death to me? Well do I know that it is my fate to perish here, far from my mother and dear father. Yet nonetheless, I shall not slacken until having driven the Trojans to their fill of war!" Achilles--speaking to Xanthus in the Iliad. "So he spake and whooping into the forefront he held his single-nailed horses. (My translation)

4. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

wasn't it a kind of hedonistic 'dictatorship', in fiume? or am i confusing that with another story.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

wasn't it a kind of hedonistic 'dictatorship', in fiume? or am i confusing that with another story.
    It was called The Italian Regency of Carnaro and he reigned as a dictator for 18 months; the ethos of the dictatorship was music. Also d'Annunzio declared war on Italy.

[​IMG]

Look at that glamour.

6. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

yes...i believe there were official brothels and such. what a year-and-a-half that must have been.

7. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

Do we not stop at some point and say "Damn your fine clothes and aesthetic sense, you're still a fascist and fought on the side of genocide and that makes you NOT worth admiring"?

bob

8. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

That first guy's britches appear to be full of poo.

9. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

They're called jodhpurs... :p

10. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

11. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

12. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

No, not the city... jodhpurs are horseback riding trousers that found their way as standard dress in many militaries, probably from the cavalry. They have a flared upper leg to allow room of movement. This was before spandex was available, so most jodhpurs now are form fitting and have stretch.

13. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Here's a piece of classic Futurist prose to go along with the pictures:

"For twenty seven years we Futurists have rebelled against the idea that war is anti-aesthetic....We therefore state:... War is beautiful because--thanks to its gas masks, its terrifying megaphones, its flame throwers, and light tanks--it establishes man's domination over the subjugated machine. War is beautiful because it inaugurates the dreamed-of metallization of the human body. War is beautiful because it enriches a flpwering meadow with fiery orchids of machine guns. War is beautiful because it combines gunfire, barrages, cease fires, scents, and the fragrance of putrefaction into a symphony. War is beautiful because it creates new architectures, like those of armonred tanks, geometric squadrons of aircraft, spirals of smoke from burning villages, and much more....Poets and artists of Futurism,...remember these principles of an aesthetic of war, that they may illuminate...your struggles for a new poetry and a new sculpture!"

This is from E.F.T. Marinetti's manifesto for the colonial war in Ethiopia. Marinetti's other works included Futurismo e Fascismo (1924), which argued that fascism is the politics of Futurism. The passage is quoted by Walter Benjamin at the end of the essay "The Work of Art in the Age of Reproducibility" (1939). Benjamin, as many here know, denounces this sort of thinking as, among other things, sinister nonsense and terrifying delusion.

Take a look at Walter Benjamin, Selected Writings (Harvard UP), vol 4 for more. His 1930 essay "Theories of German Fascism" is also quite prescient.

14. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Do we not stop at some point and say "Damn your fine clothes and aesthetic sense, you're still a fascist and fought on the side of genocide and that makes you NOT worth admiring"?
    I hope so.

Additionally, aside from the third photograph, most of his garb is uniform, surely?

I always thought that one of the tenets of being a dandy is that you enjoy the wearing of clothes. The first picture says to me, 'miserable man who has to wear what the boss tells me to.' You could put him into a McDonalds uniform and he would have the same expression on his face.

15. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

When it comes to overly dressed dictators, who are grandiose onto themselves I'm personally more partial to this:

[​IMG]

Jon.