• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A&F and where to go

slappysloopy

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to SF as a member but have been browsing for quite some time. I've shopped at abercrombie for a while and can understand the heat that they are dished out but I still like their clothing. The cottons are soft, cashmeres warm, jeans fitted, and slim fits are slim. I'm not the typical A&F guy because I dress up a little bit more. (I only wear sweaters and shirts to school. I haven't worn a tee or a polo in over a year.) This being said, recently I've been shopping at gap and Banana and integrating that into my wardrobe. I like having nice blazers to wear out and khakis without drawstrings or fades.

Here's my question: I'm 17 and turning 18 in a month so I'll be going to college next year. What stores should I look into that are clean, fashionable, and fairly priced other than A&F, gap, and the like?

I like the quality from both stores and despite what people say, spending 100 on a pair of jeans is enough for me and 50-80 for a shirt is reasonable so I don't need to wear designer clothing. I like dressing nice and not wearing ed hardy, affliction, etc. that looks like trash and costs the same amount as something nice from RL. Hopefully you guys will have some suggestions and can get me started on some shopping for next year.

Thanks and have a happy New Year!

Brian SD

Reaction score
J. Crew is the SF-approved highstreet brand. I'm not a fan, but it's a hell of a lot better than Banana Republic.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JCrew/Club Monaco/Uniqlo/H&M should cover you dressy needs.

allan1

Reaction score
I would not buy any A&F, personally, but if that's girls want you to wear, why not?

When I was 18, didn't know what to buy, but that's when I started looking around stuff (going to different type of shops, brands, style, etc), and found something you like (I like, APC, RL, Dior, Trickers, Nudie, etc)

I'm sure you can find many interesting info in this forum and please go to the shops to see/touch/wear the products
smile.gif

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by allan1
I would not buy any A&F, personally, but if that's girls want you to wear, why not?

Because you'll look bad?! That's a silly question.

I've been shopping JCrew quite a bit recently because of the sick 15% college ID discount that is going on all the time. It even works on their sale items, you can get things just stupidly cheap sometimes and the stuff there is pretty decent. The cuts are a LITTLE wide for me, but you're probably not as small as I am, and the stuff still looks good for everyday wear.

nonissue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
J. Crew is the SF-approved highstreet brand. I'm not a fan, but it's a hell of a lot better than Banana Republic.

What exactly don't you like about Banana?

I'm not fortunate enough to have access to a J. Crew, and I'm a little confused by the preference for J. Crew over Banana.

(I'll also admit that I do work at Banana Republic)

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
banana is too clean cut for casual wear, I like to think of it as business casual/metrosexual.

j crew is good casual, and more red-blooded american. it's just a healthier aesthetic all around

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JCrew tends to have a slimmer cut on most items, as opposed to the boxy shape at Banana. Also, there seems to be more of a preppy/Americana theme for most clothes at Jcrew, where Banana tends to be directed towards cubicle/office culture. It all depends on your preferences. Also, if you don't live near a JCrew, their website often puts many items on sale.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen good stuff at Banana on ocassion, but JCrew is a lot more reliable and their smalls are actually fairly small.

Studio27

Reaction score
Not really related to casual wear, but I have been wearing a white BR slim fit button down with barrel cuffs to interviews and I actually think it fits very well. It actually feels slimmer than my h&m button downs, and is by no means boxy. I have a long peacoat from BR as well, however, that does have a boxy fit so I suppose the moral of the story is try their **** on because it's hit and miss.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
JCrew/Club Monaco/Uniqlo/H&M should cover you dressy needs.

we need uniqlo in seattle. it'd be crowded as H&M though.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UPDATE - I just checked my account on the bank credited the money back into my account but the paypal claim status shows as still being in a first-stage status and it doesn't show any transactions to replace the money. I'm thinking that maybe BoA put some sort of flag on the transaction so when it posted today they caught it (?)

nonissue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
JCrew tends to have a slimmer cut on most items, as opposed to the boxy shape at Banana. Also, there seems to be more of a preppy/Americana theme for most clothes at Jcrew, where Banana tends to be directed towards cubicle/office culture. It all depends on your preferences. Also, if you don't live near a JCrew, their website often puts many items on sale.
Your right, but it varies. Banana republic has been carrying slimfit/fitted shirts for a while, you definitely have to stay away from the classic fit ****, that stuff is disgusting. Also, the tailored fit suits are definitely tailored. they've started doing slimmer jeans and slimmer casual pants as well. I definitely don't buy lots at banana, but occasionally they do have some nice pieces. They carried a really nice grey shawl cardi in winter, they have a really nice double breasted cropped trench at the moment. I do agree, I think overall J. Crew does have a better aesthetic, but I've only seen what they have on the website. I just checked and they do ship to canada so maybe I'll start getting a few pieces from them, although i get a pretty hefty discount at BR.
Originally Posted by Studio27
Not really related to casual wear, but I have been wearing a white BR slim fit button down with barrel cuffs to interviews and I actually think it fits very well. It actually feels slimmer than my h&m button downs, and is by no means boxy. I have a long peacoat from BR as well, however, that does have a boxy fit so I suppose the moral of the story is try their **** on because it's hit and miss.
you are probably rocking a stretch poplin in white, which only comes in a slim fit. go in and look, they carry quite a few mens shirts in a slim fit now. jackets are definitely hit or miss, but i find the shorter the peacoat, the more fitted it is. the long coats are very boxy.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The reason many people prefer J. Crew is that they have a clearly defined design aesthetic - east coast preppy. It is not clear what BR is aiming for, perhaps some sort of vaguely Euro-aesthetic. This is not to say that you can't find useful articles of clothing at BR, but you can acquire more of the basics you need for a balanced warddrobe at J. Crew.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads