• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-E Dryden - Brandy or Brown?

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of picking up a pair of A-E Drydens - would brandy or brown be the best color? I am thinking of use primarily with sport coats/blazers and occasionally with suits. I like the brandy a lot but the brown looks better for wearing with suits. What does everyone think? Here are some pictures:

Brandy:

208973.jpg

Brown:

506228.jpg

mdg137

Reaction score
If you have others in brown, I would go with the brandy without hesitation.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mdg137
If you have others in brown, I would go with the brandy without hesitation.
+1

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
I have the Dryden, its cousin the Westgate and the Niles in both brown and brandy and prefer the brandy.
Even more so with the second generation of brandy, when they first introduced the color it was much paler and less attractive than the current slightly darker version, which, imho, I find matches very well and is more versatile than the brown.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK.... thanks guys! Brandy it is, then! I don't really have anything in dark brown other than a split toe blucher, but my occasions for wearing suits are few and far between and my black captoe would do just fine for those occasions. Having something that works well with sport coats is more useful for me, I think.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
OK.... thanks guys! Brandy it is, then! I don't really have anything in dark brown other than a split toe blucher, but my occasions for wearing suits are few and far between and my black captoe would do just fine for those occasions. Having something that works well with sport coats is more useful for me, I think.

Wise decision
wink.gif

R-H

Reaction score
I have the Dryden in Brandy. AE makes some good looking shoes but the Dryden is just nasty looking.

Very square toe-ish. I'd suggest the AE Hale, or something similar, instead of the Dryden. It is way to bulky and square for my liking.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would the brandy Drydens go well with grey or charcoal trousers? I am thinking of combinations like a navy blazer or a black/white herringbone sport coat with charcoal or grey trousers. Or is the brandy too light a shade of brown to pull it off?

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Dryden in brown. I like the shoe, but the color is...brown. There is zero depth/flucuation to the color, it's just brown.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads