1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

A.E. Clegg Ltd. wools

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johnnynorman3, Mar 28, 2005.

1. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

I have an opportunity to buy some fabric at a super cheap price from this mill (as in SUPER cheap). Anyone ever heard of this Huddersfield, England mill?

2. lisapop

lisapop Senior Member

The only AE Clegg Ltd I know of in the UK sells cars, so you might want to find out a bit more, such as whether this mill has a distributor, and, if so, the name of the distributor.
    Grayson

3. johnnynorman3

Well, a google search shows that it is one of the 68 "most respect" mills in England. Not sure what the heck that means. In any event, at the cost I'd be getting the wool for, it's not even worth any further investigation.

How much fabric do you need usually for a men's two piece, sb suit? 40R.

4. lisapop

lisapop Senior Member

Didn't even know there were 68 mills left in England--go figure.  For me, at 6'2", my tailor usually orders 3 1/2 yards of cloth for a 2-pc suit, but your needs may differ.
    Grayson

5. johnnynorman3

Hmmm. I could get only 3 yards of this fabric. I'm 5'10" and slim. I wonder if I could get by with 3 yards.

6. lisapop

lisapop Senior Member

If it's a solid cloth, with no pattern to match, you might be able to skate by with 3 yards.
    Grayson

7. lisapop

lisapop Senior Member

You just might not be able to inhale with 3 yds. of cloth. Seriously, though, with the understanding that you might not have enough cloth to provide for some excess if you need to let the suit out in the future, you might be able to get by with 3 yds.
    Grayson

8. johnnynorman3

It's a solid color fabric, and it's only gonna cost me $30 for 3 yards. I might as well buy it -- it's a charcoal flannel, which could always come in handy.

9. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

If there's not enough fabric for a full suit, why not just have your tailor make you a sportcoat (or even a hacking jacket [​IMG] ) Bradford

10. johnnynorman3

I'm so dumb. I just found out its 3 1/4 yards. So, I think it'll be enough. We'll see how much my domestic tailor would charge to make me a suit from this. I'm going to do the Lesser bespoke suit, and then perhaps he can just use the existing pattern to make me this and ship it to me (no fittings) to keep the cost down. Otherwise, I'll wait for Chan to do it (I think someone said tailoring charge is $550 or so). I'm hoping the fabric is good quality, because it will be a great staple suit.

11. lisapop

lisapop Senior Member

In the wise words of my grandmother: You can't go wrong.
    Grayson