• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A dual wedding (ie 2 ceremonies) - what to wear?

korce

Reaction score
One of my best friend's brothers is getting married. As he is marrying a woman from a Sikh family, there will be two ceremonies one week apart, first the Sikh wedding, then the Anglican wedding.

My girlfriend and I are invited to both weddings, and I have the wonderful dilemma of what to wear! Hopefully fellow SF-ers can provide some suggestions.

The main issue is that I only own one well-fitting suit, a charcoal grey 2B peak lapel TaT. Realistically, I don't have the budget (or time probably) to order another suit before the wedding(s).

For the Indian wedding, I was thinking of wearing this suit, and trying to find someone in little India (in Toronto) to make a nehru-style white shirt (ie mandarin/indian collar). I would probably accompany this with a simple white linen PS, and black bal wingtips. It should be noted that the wedding party will be dressed in full indian regalia for this ceremony, and my girlfriend will be wearing a beautiful sari (lavender w/ silk woven thread) that was her mothers wedding sari.

For the anglican wedding, the groomsmen will all be wearing morning coats from what I understand. However, there is no indication of a formal dresscode on the invitation to the wedding. I'm hoping it will be ok if I wear the SAME suit (I know
frown.gif
), with a slim-fitting semi-spread collar shirt (either grey or white), a burgundy altea tie (2.75"), a white on white paisley silk kent wang PS, and the SAME black bal wingtips.

Does this sound reasonable? Or will I look like a fool wearing the same suit and shoes to both weddings? Any other suggestions on what to wear?

For your reference, I'm looking to purchase one of the two shirts below to wear to the anglican wedding:

trog5-794857.jpg

trog4-798412.jpg

I also like this 3rd shirt below, but assume it's much too casual for wedding wear...:
trog3-774488.jpg

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
get the white shirt

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
get the white shirt

+1

Wear the same suit for both, with the changes in accessories you mentioned. Enjoy the hell outta yourself at the reception(s).

darkoak

Reaction score
^^^ LK, you could pass for a Nepalese, or Bhutanese
bhutan_20981t.jpg

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
+1

Wear the same suit for both, with the changes in accessories you mentioned. Enjoy the hell outta yourself at the reception(s).

+1

I've going for my cousins wedding in India in March, getting "full indian regalia" tailored there
laugh.gif

korce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
You should get a Nehru suit.

Even I have one, a lurex number, and I'm about as Indian as a polar bear.

Given that the wedding is in about a month I'm not sure if this is an option...

Know of anyone in Toronto that would do this kind of work?

Ultimately I'm not sure how much wear I'd get out of a Nehru suit other than to future Indian weddings (ie if my girlfriend's sisters get married). From looking around the forum it seems that many on here aren't too fond of the look either...

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
I think a grey suit with a different shirt and tie would be fine to wear to both events. If it was a blue suit that would be fine too. If it was a window pane, plaid, or some other noticeable pattern that would be 'less fine', but there is no sin in owning just one suit - we all did at one time.

I would pass on those dark colored shirts and wear either a white or light blue shirt.

Enjoy yourself, Jim.

Eva0243

Reaction score
Men's Clothing for the Wedding Ceremony in USA got very popular!! Wedding professionals and service providers make a good selection for the grooms. By the way, have you heard of MiNeeds.com? It really simplifies finding affordable wedding photographers. I used it to find them for my daughter's wedding. Essentially, after I described what I needed on this site, I received several competitive bids from local wedding photographers. I liked the fact that I didn't have to call around and negotiate with each, and that they actually came to me.

San Francisco Wedding Services - Get Bids & Save | MiNeeds

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same suit, different shirt and tie.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same suit, different shirt and tie.

Blue shirt - Sikh

White shirt - Anglican

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by korce
Ultimately I'm not sure how much wear I'd get out of a Nehru suit other than to future Indian weddings (ie if my girlfriend's sisters get married).

Not planning on marrying your girlfriend?

haha i can ask this question in internet speak, but when you get it in real life...awkward...

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yes, just change up the shirt and tie. i'm sure your friends would be happier with your presence at both events that they won't care at all (or notice) that you only have one suit

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its ok to wear the same suit, just change the tie/shirt like mentioned above. Remember everyone will be paying attention to the groom/bride so you dont have to worry to much about people noticing what you are wearing

pbc

Reaction score
How about

Double soled double monk straps
double breasted suit
2-ply shirt with double cuffs
and a double windsor

Actually I think you will be fine wearing the same suit a week apart. People do that all the time for church. Don't worry yourself about it, I can virtually guarantee that no one else will. You might try a silk shirt or shiny silk tie for the Indian ceremony, but even that might be trying too hard. Unless specified, the guests should simply dress their best and not try to don a different culture. Enjoy the ceremony.

pbc

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads