• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A DIY Shoe Cabinet

fullb

Reaction score
Here is my new realization.
I really like trunks, and I especially like the work of Ephtée, but its products are as beautiful as they are clearly out of my budget.
So I decided to do it myself.
After making my plans, I spent a day with the purchase of supplies (wood, fabric, hardware, glue and a few tools that I needed).
It took me two days of work, the first day was devoted to the manufacture of the structure, cutting the angle braces. The Second day was for making the shuttering interior trim, studs, and mounting hardware.
I'm pretty happy because the result is exactly what I had imagined,

malle6.jpg

malle2.jpg

malle3.jpg

malle4.jpg

malle5.jpg

trunk.jpg

So I'll go into details.
I made my structure with 0.74 inch chipboard, each panel screwed to another.
I then covered the entire outside of the fabric with leather aspect the fabric is bonded with neoprene glue. When stretched and glued the fabric gives a beautiful leather look.
For angles I used good quality Leatherette. I cut the strips and then I glued and then make a hem of about 1 / 4 inch. I then glued the corners and glued the strips. Cutting corners was the most complicated because I wanted that fit perfectly

The use of fabric and Leatherette was a financial matter (€ 50 materials instead of € 350 to do all leather I would have need at least 3 whole skins)

Brass nails (408) were laid one by one with a hammer with accurate measurement, they all have an interval of 1 inch and I had deliberately not glued the hems so that the studs created a nice relief.

For the interior I made a casing with 0.1 inch plywood then I stapled the suede fabric on the reverse side panels and then I set up each panel with a few drips of neoprene glue to make sure that nothing does not move (although it was not necessary because all were going to fit the millimeter and the structure stands by itself)

I finally fixed all brass births I have pre drilled for easier installation when inserting the bars.
Questions are welcome.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ +1 thanks for the write-up. Result looks very professional indeed.
I wonder how much it would cost to cover that baby in Croc :devil:

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome just Awesome !!! Well done :slayer:

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bravo, very nice.

Do smooth leather soles never slip off the rails?

fullb

Reaction score

Thrifter

Reaction score
The front is missing:

3665_Marshall_1960A__05700_zoom.jpg

Just kidding - looks great!

mech IFR

Reaction score
Awesome job OP. Would love to put something like this together (though not nearly as high a quality) when I find some time. Exceptional!

The Suit Guy

Reaction score
Please make a YouTube video for the next construction for all those who are poor at reading directions. It could be like a DIY Network for the well dressed.

Congrats, I admire your skill.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics