• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, the Missa Solemnis is more often found on my playlist. There is a time and place for everything! I listened through an entire St Matthews' Passion on a stone seat in a freezing winter at Trinity Cambridge and did not appreciate it very much. Conducted there shortly after which was much better as the exertion took care of the cold.

But really, it is an enjoyable book. I hope RJ keeps going. Looking forward to the next project (and to the remaining 55% of this one, according to Amazon). Thanks to the quality of the writing, my phone ran out of battery, and the rental car's USB charger being broken, I had to navigate home the old fashioned way, which was oddly relevant :D

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, the Missa Solemnis is more often found on my playlist. There is a time and place for everything! I listened through an entire St Matthews' Passion on a stone seat in a freezing winter at Trinity Cambridge and did not appreciate it very much. Conducted there shortly after which was much better as the exertion took care of the cold.

Which brings to mind the first time I heard the B Minor Mass was standing in
the snow outside Sage Chapel at Cornell U. The Chapel was packed and while
listening I thought of myself being in the film Ivan the Terrible.

Last edited:

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
SAB are in the Piccadilly Arcade, a few doors from, or even next to, Budd and Benson & Clegg. Over the years, I have acquired three of their brollys, the first one in 1984 or 5 (Piccadilly shop), with a thick whangee handle that I have been told to cherish because you can't find those anymore. I still covet their Gladstone bag but it is way beyond my means. I have a very old, but more recent, Herbert Johnson flat cap. Most good shops in London have been "modernized" into nothing. The last tailor's shop with a frosted glass front was Meyer and Mortimer (= Jones, Chalk and Dawson) and they have moved...
Yo, this just cropped up on ebay: Vintage 1990 Foster & Son Gladstone London Baghide Hunting Kit Leather Bag | eBay

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Just finalized the book. Thank you for writing it.
Thank you for your kind words. It means a lot coming from anyone, particularly at this moment of stress and sadness, but especially from someone who I know to be a thoughtful poster with interesting insights on this stuff.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Cross-posting from the French Tailoring thread -
So you guys can have a chance to cringe at my recorded voice (practice for the Die, Menswear! podcast with @dieworkwear?), I've done a podcast interview with my oldest e-friend Alan Cornett about the lost worlds of French #steez that I write about in my book, linked here:

Apple: https://apple.co/3tHYs3n Spotify: https://spoti.fi/3nCTFMx

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Greetings fellow menswear enthusiasts. It was great being able to chat with my old friend @RJman. I invite you to give the podcast a listen.

Apple: https://apple.co/3tHYs3n
Spotify: https://spoti.fi/3nCTFMx

Episode 19 - RJ Swan Songs.png

emptym

Reaction score
Wonderful!: both to hear that we will hear RJ, and to see AlanC here! We've missed you, Alan!

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
But really, it is an enjoyable book. I hope RJ keeps going. Looking forward to the next project
since you asked, here’s my new book (h/t @JPHardy ), with special foreword by a lot of wackos :
F835E2F1-48BE-4EB7-BD8D-ADDE647BCF1C.jpeg

j/k

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
since you asked, here’s my new book (h/t @JPHardy ), with special foreword by a lot of wackos : View attachment 1739419

j/k
"When I looked at my shoes, it was as though I had met a good friend or got back a torn-off part of me: a feeling of recognition trembles through all my senses, tears spring to my eyes, and I perceive my shoes as a softly murmuring tune coming toward me. Weakness! I said harshly to myself, and I clenched my fists and said: Weakness. I mocked myself for these ridiculous feelings, made fun of myself quite consciously; I spoke very sternly and reasonably, and I fiercely squeezed my eyes shut to get rid of my tears."

emptym

Reaction score
I've been reading a page or two a day, in the morning or before going to bed. Love the range of references, from French history to Luke Cage.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've been reading a page or two a day, in the morning or before going to bed. Love the range of references, from French history to Luke Cage.
Thanks! I forgot I'd referred to that show... Adrian Younge's soundtrack to it was magnificent. In any case, a French site published a detailed review of my book at https://www.lesindispensablesparis.com/mode/swan-songs... and I'm happy to answer questions folks have about it or the stuff in it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads