• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Henry Ford or Henry Ford II
My guess is the latter, who was not a known anti-semite.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Henry Ford or Henry Ford II
My guess is the latter, who was not a known anti-semite.
What were his thoughts about square-dancing?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What were his thoughts about square-dancing?

No idea. Unlike his anti semitic grandfather, who held the kind of prejudices
typical of his class and era, Henry Ford II was a product of Hotchkiss and Yale,
an upper class cosmopolitan, at least to follow the stereotype, unlikely to
promote square dancing.

Last edited:

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
No idea. Unlike his anti semitic grandfather, who held the kind of prejudices
typical of his class and era, Henry Ford II was a product of Hotchkiss and Yale,
an upper class cosmopolitan, at least to follow the stereotype, unlikely to
promote square dancing.

Let's not excuse with class and era what Henry Ford did. If widely amplifying and broadcasting discredited lies that literally have caused genocide are "typical" of a class, that is an indictment of that class, not an excuse.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Weren't there some Americans from Henry Ford's generation who fought Nazis?
And I mean, other tycoons like Andrew Carnegie built libraries, they didn't fund making kids do stupid dances out of some paranoid fixation about Jews, jazz and black people. Here's the link for Behind the Bastards, as some of you might find it educational: ‎Behind the Bastards on Apple Podcasts

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So we can talk Nazis but not Climate Change? :devil:

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Adolf Hitler refered to him as the leader of the Nazi Party in American. He was not typical, he was an extremist even for his time.
Bringing things back to my book, WWII and the Occupation were turning points in the histories of several of the houses I write about - my Old England and Sulka chapters go into it; I had to dig very hard to find the Sulka stuff; Old England's vanity history has a bit more info about what happened to it during the occupation. Worth mentioning that there's an Alan Furst novel featuring the halls of the sprawling Grand Hotel that shares most of the block that isn't Old England, set during Occupation.

I know other Occupation stories about some of the places I mention, but you'll have to get me drunk and not record me.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back to Paris. I had quite a few thoughts upon reading the book:
1. A very involving story. I ingested it in a day.
2. Loved the juxtaposition of Marcel Proust, a Sulka dressing gown, and a peacock on the cover.
3. A very illuminating inside view of Parisian sartorial sensibilities. I admire French style, it is distinctive and seems internally consistent. It is not the most accessible to understand, viewing it from LA, never having spent more than a few days in Paris at one time.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
2. Loved the juxtaposition of Marcel Proust, a Sulka dressing gown, and a peacock on the cover.
3. A very illuminating inside view of Parisian sartorial sensibilities. I admire French style, it is distinctive and seems internally consistent. It is not the most accessible to understand, viewing it from LA, never having spent more than a few days in Paris at one time.
Thank you so much. I hope your ingestion did not lead to indigestion.

The French tend to form a circular firing squad when it comes to agreeing on whether French men's style exists, but I hope my book showed that there are still unique things, makers, places there, even if all of us end up feeling like one of Paul Bowles' Western tourists in the Maghreb, uncertain and about to have a date with destiny.

America's leading authoritarian intellectual, who was a guest at my bachelor party, gave me a wonderful pitch line for the book before we fell out of contact: "Proust on clothes." I haven't used that in marketing the book since publication, considering how conflicted its origin makes me feel.

I've only worn the Sulka peacock smoking jacket from my cover once. My kid said, "What are you wearing?" and my spouse didn't even look up.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Proust on clothes is a very lapidary description. I like it. Swan Songs is a word shorter though.

Peter Benchley's "Jaws" got $100K for the paperback rights, a record for the time. The buyer, asked to comment, said: "If it was a two word title I would have only paid $50K".

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Still waiting for my copy. This is part of what I want to learn more about. From an LA perspective, I have always found Paris quite stylish. But I've never been in France longer than 3 weeks at a time. My knowledge is effectually 0.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads